Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just aquired a set of factory 15x7 wheels with 5" backspacing. was wandering if a 33 x 12.50 would clear the front control arms when the wheel is at full lock. figured the factory wheels would be better for the drive to Grand Slam East since they pilot on the hub and my aftermarket wheels don't.

·
Registered
656 Posts
No, they won't. You need something around 4" or less of backspacing to clear 33x12.5 tires at full lock.

One fix is to dial your steering locks inward so that you don't turn as tight...but that's kinda sucky to do. It limits your manueverability, as you might guess.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Is 4" the ideal backspacing for 33/12.5? I'm still trying to figure out 32 or 33's, and I'm wondering how much I have to cut to get 33's to fit under RE 4.5+BB.

·
Registered
542 Posts
4.5" BS...is what everyone believes to be the optimum for 33x12.5x15 on a ZJ.

You'll also need 4.5" + of lift and expect to do some trimming..

·
Registered
656 Posts
On 2002-02-27 08:02, RufftyTuffty wrote:
4.5" BS...is what everyone believes to be the optimum for 33x12.5x15 on a ZJ.

You'll also need 4.5" + of lift and expect to do some trimming..
I agree that 4.5" is the "believed" correct backspacing, but I am running 3.75" and am still rubbing the control arms, even with a washer under each steering stop. At full flex, I JUST BARELY touch the upper outside fender lip, so I suggest/recommend 4" of backspacing for those reasons. You can do 4.5", but you'll have to add two or three washers to your steering stops in order to keep it from rubbing on your control arms, which goofs up your turning radius.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KevinF

thanks for the backspacing info.
my aftermarket steel wheels (15x8)have 3.75"s of backspacing, guess i'll have to mount the tires on them instead.

do you know of an aftermarket wheel in a 15
or 16x8 that is designed to pilot on the hub like a factory wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts