Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will 32/11.5's fit on stock wheels (the measure around 7") under a procomp 3" on a 95 Grand Cherokee? How about 33x10.50's?

Is this a decent lift kit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not heard alot of good things about the procomp kit for grands although they make decent kits for other vehicles. You won't be able to fit 32's with out alot of trimming. 31's work well with 3" and stock tires. Probably shouldn't but anything wider than 10.5" on a 7" wheel.

G

·
0 Posts
I used to run the ProCrap 3" lift. I loved the shocks, but as far as I'm concerned that's the only good component the kit includes... I tried running 31.7 x 10.5 bfg at's under that kit, it wasn't pretty. My fenders were all but destryoyed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MattsZJ on 2002-02-02 19:10 ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got back from my local 4x4 place, and they said if you're serious do the rubicon 4.5". Is that the ultimate?

·
Registered
828 Posts
On 2002-02-02 19:54, [email protected] wrote:
I just got back from my local 4x4 place, and they said if you're serious do the rubicon 4.5". Is that the ultimate?
Ultimate to a point. A long arm setup is the next step up, but gets very pricey. For the money the RE kit is the best bang for the buck, and comes with the most complete set of componants.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On 2002-02-02 18:18, JaredB wrote:
Probably shouldn't but anything wider than 10.5" on a 7" wheel.
Definately put wider than 10.5 on a 7" wheel. Easily go up to a 13.5, matter of fact that is a preferable setup. It protects the bead, the rim, and when aired low, it keeps the bead from blowing.

Just have to watch the back spacing and make sure you get it balanced. Realistically you shouldn't be putting anything wider than a 12.5" on a grand anyhow. It won't stuff without rubbing like heck, and turning becomes a labor of love and patience.

just my 2.73¢
Zac

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it sounds like the RE, with wheels that have the appropriate back spacing (and maybe a touch wider) are the way to go. It seems like both the retail and on-line stores all sell the RE for $1350. Are there deals to be had on that kit?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks for all the good advice -

One last question - What is the proper backspacing for 10.5 and 11.5 wide tires for a ZJ with the RE 4.5" lift?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive got a 94 Grand Cherokee with Rusty's 4.5 Coils and Teraflex Control Arms. I just installed 32x11.5x15 Pro Comp Mud Terrains on 15x8 Black Rockcrawlers. The front tires keep clipping the front bumper when I turn sharp.But that just gives me an excuse for the wife when I buy my ARB bumper. :eek:) I still think the RE kit will be the best way to go. If you really want more lift get the spacers and front Trac bar bracket. My advice is "Do it right, and do it right the first time"

·
Registered
606 Posts
Anywhere from 4" to 4.75" BS would be OK really. I think most prefer 4.5" BS.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry...ignorant question...what exactly is back spacing? :?

·
Registered
606 Posts
On 2002-02-06 19:44, ZJ Dave wrote:
Sorry...ignorant question...what exactly is back spacing? :?
It is the amount that the rims stick out, put simply. Stock is more than five inches, and LESS backspacing equals wheels FARTHER out.

Optimal should be right around 4.5". Some run 4", and anything less than that looks like a roller skate IMHO.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So why exactly is it refered to as "proper" backspacing, and what determines it? And how do you adjust it? Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts
It is "proper" because it keeps the tire centered between the upper coil spring mount and the fender lip to minimize rubbing when flexing. It also widens the stance a little for a little more stability.

You can only adjust it by buying different wheels (or wheel spacers--don't bother with those).

But it is only needed to be proper when you are trying to fit the biggest tire you can with the least amount of trimming. If you want to get rid of the fenders entirely go for something with like 3-3.25" BS :).

G

·
0 Posts
On 2002-02-02 20:10, Zac wrote:
On 2002-02-02 18:18, JaredB wrote:
Probably shouldn't but anything wider than 10.5" on a 7" wheel.
Definately put wider than 10.5 on a 7" wheel. Easily go up to a 13.5, matter of fact that is a preferable setup. It protects the bead, the rim, and when aired low, it keeps the bead from blowing.

Just have to watch the back spacing and make sure you get it balanced. Realistically you shouldn't be putting anything wider than a 12.5" on a grand anyhow. It won't stuff without rubbing like heck, and turning becomes a labor of love and patience.

just my 2.73¢
Zac
I don't know if I could disagree more... In theory, of course, the bead and rim is protected more inward by the rubber of the tire. going wider than a 10.5" on a 7" wheel will cause very unpredictable tire wear, as well as unforseable problems when under great stresses (rock crawling) -- just don't think it's an all round good idea...

just my .02....

·
Registered
671 Posts
32s will not fit w/ a procrap 3" kit, especially when the pos springs sag like mine. Even w/ 1.5" spaces on top of the springs, my 31s still rubb at times. Even w/ 5" of lift, some 33s will rubb w/o trimming.

·
Registered
120 Posts
On 2002-02-02 20:10, Zac wrote:

I disagree with putting greater than a 10.5 on a 7" wheel. If you do go wider it causes the tire to bulge out, causing premature tire wear around the center of the tread. You then have to run them underinflated to compensate. Although, I do aggree that it protects the bead, but it's not worth it. Just run tires with the beadprotection lip.

I've heard that if you want to run 32's or 33's, go with at least an 8" wheel.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Proper backspacing is relative. For one person, proper means a certain look, to others, proper means posistioning the wheel so it will tuck up inside the fender lip while wheeling.

You cannot adjust back spacing. It is how the wheel is made.
Back spacing is the measurement taken if you were to take a wheel with no tire mounted, lay it down on the "Pretty" side, hold a straight edge across the inner wheel rim and measure perpendicular to the wheel mating flange.

4.5" bs is popular, but with decent stuff of the wheel, you will rub on the inner fender well. I run 3.75" with 32x11.5-15's with no problems. 4-4.5" is what you will want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts