Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get a 3" suspension from 4 wheel parts and i could use a few ideas which one i should go with. Iv got it between the Procomp or Skyjacker. Any ideas of which one i should go with or anyplace cheaper to find a deal. Also i am installing the 1.5" teraflex BB. My last question goes to my 2wd ZJ, YES 4WD is the only way to go, but i am SOL with this one to make mods on.... As far as the whole suspension system goes...what is the difference between the parts on the 2wd and 4wd systems? I know the 2wd is going to be much easier, but im looking for specifics. I would appreciate any help or advice i can get.....Thanx

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you are going to go for only one of these two lifts then Skyjacker.....hands down. :barf: you don't want to waste your money.

You can get better prices elsewhere also. 4WPW is not known for their good prices or service. They were the low price leader many years ago but now they are run by a bunch of bean counters. :eek:

You might want to consider Teraflex and RE before you fork out the $$.

Just my .02

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey i was wondering. What is the matter with Pro Comp sus. i have had it on my grand since 97 and i havent had any problems with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CLAY...Thanx for the info...i was planning on going with somthing else than pro comp personally...iv heard a lot of crud bout it, but rancho has those pretty sweet RS9000 shocks(any comments about that?), but anyway if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as where to look for the suspension and cheaper prices it would be very helpfull if u could post a link of any sites.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have suggestions about which kind of suspension systems might be softer for the road?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone have any idea what size tires i could go with if i went with a 3" suspension, then the 2" teraflex?(Without rubbing or trimming) iv heard a lot of crud but the most iv heard is ill be able to fit some Super swamper TSL radials 33x10.5's

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know any tips or tricks to installing the suspension from personal expierience that would save a lot of trouble, also what components should come with a good suspension kit that is mandatory for 2wd that might be more cost effective

G

·
0 Posts
dont tell me your ZJ is two wheel drive, and if so why are you thinking about a lift and swampers??????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New School Woody....Yeah what are u pushing under ur 4.0 piece of #2...i just got a new factory 360 dropped in and the lockers on the rear... THAT IS WHY I HAD ANY IDEA OF PUTTING ON A LIFT ON 2WD,m otherwise i would have to agree with you

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NEW SCHOOL WOODY-I dont know how many of yal could agree with me, but in my opinion, a 93 ZJ with a 360, lockers, power everything, JL audio system, lea int, alarm, K&N intake, bad ass exhaust with new headers, and about to have a 5 in suspension lift + the addition of hight from the stock tires to 33's which equals 10 full inches of lift....will make up for the 2wd problem

G

·
0 Posts
dont get me wrong i like the 360 and wish that i could replace my 318 with one.(1993 Grand Wagoneer badge on the newly introduced Grand Cherokee body style. Grand Wagoneer was only built in 1993 on the new body style, and the only powerplant offered for the Woody was the 318) although i have done some engine,intake, exhaust mods, their is no replacemant for displacement. however dont convince yourself that a locker, aggresive tires and high horsepower are going to compensate for the fact that you only have 2 wheels providing traction. all the clearance and suspension travel you can get won't mean squat when your attempting that steep, loose rock, side hill ascent. sounds like you should opt for
a supercharger or some NOS for your onroad rocket. me being the jeep enthusiast that i am wouldn't feel right discouraging another jeep owner from making 4-wheeling modifications, but if your going to go to the expense of a lift, lockers, crate motors, gears and so on and so forth why waste time and money on a vehicle lacking the main ingredient. Remember... Jeep... there's only one, and it sure as hell ain't 2 wheel drive.

good luck with the 360 install.
i also have a 84 model Grand Wagoneer(old school) with a good ol' AMC 401 shoehorned into it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regardless of what other people think, i am going to go ahead and put the lift on. Since i have decided to do that, i would appreciate any help on link of suspension websites. Any other tips would be great. (And sorry the 360 was already dropped in Woody)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think it's a great idea to lift the Jeep and throw in the other mods, 2WD or otherwise. Ask anyone with a ZJ and no lockers how well theirs gets around in 4WD, most will agree it's a 2WD that just hasn't figured out it should have both back wheels spinning instead of one front, one rear.
Send some pics, I'd like to see this lifted beast with a dead front axle.
Be unique, when's the last time we heard of someone attempting this feat? I think it'll be same as lifting a 4WD ZJ, just minus all the front driveline problems.

G

·
0 Posts
i think that a 2wd zj will basically perform fairly similar to a stock 4wd(in the mud and sand anyways) if it has a locker. also, i know a guy who has a 2wd drive zj on the 3" pro-comp lift and 31x10.50 BFG AT's. it looks sharp! if a 2wd is what you have...lift it! i would, it look a lot better than throughing some 20" rims on it or something. a jeep is a jeep if it is 2wd or 4wd. you will be glad you did and women on the beach will also think it looks pretty good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts