Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 5.2 motor and the 249 t-case. I have some questions and I hope you guys can help. I have read alot of forums about this subject just still concerned on some things. My t-case is shot right now, I'm running around in 2wd by removing the front drive shaft, I have heard its not good for it but I haven't had an issue with it. It does worse when the front drive shaft is in. Now with it disconnected the front diff. still spins if I get the 242 and connect the front drive shaft how is my Jeep suppose to know not to turn the front diff. in 2wd with the front drive shaft connected? I have also heard you have to get a shorter input shaft? One more question, will I need to get different drive shafts. I'm sorry if these questions were asked before. I looked through alot of forums and found some useful info. just want too look more into it and be for sure. Please help! Thank you
4WheelingBrian

·
Registered
76 Posts
You may not need to change the input, just measure your old one and compare it to the new t-case. Your new t-case disconnects the front driveshaft inside the case, but yes, the front d-shaft will still spin. It's a fairly straight forward swap, the d-shafts may be different lengths, depending on which motor/tranny combo your donor fame from. Mine was a 4.0L donor and the rear d-shafts are different lengths, but I re-used my front. I also re-used my shifter linkage, but I think some people have had trouble with everything lining up correctly?? Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just did a swap on my 98. The inputs were the same. The only thing I had to change out was my plug on top of my speedo drive so it would fit my jeeps wiring.
Drive shafts were both re used.
I did go ahead and use a Selec Trac shifter assembly even though it's not absolutely necessary. You can still use your 249 shifter, just leave the short arm tab that comes on the 242 in place.
I am in the process of doing a swap on a 94. The 94 249 has a long input shaft and the 242 has a short. For this swap I split the cases and removed my 249 input shaft and sun gear and put it in the 242. I am headed to my garage as we speak to finish up.
Check out SOLITUDE's step by step how to on this swap.
If you find a 95 or newer 242, chances are you will have the same length input shaft and you won't have to split the cases....trust me, that's your best route. You should be able to do the swap in a few short hours.
If you have to split the cases, plan on a weekend unless your experienced at wrenching.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As far as everything still turning up front, unfortunately you're going to have to live with that. 4X4s with locking hubs are the lucky ones who can disconnect entirely. As far as I know there is no way to install locking hubs on these axles. There is a conversion kit someone makes, but it's $2,200 and I don't really know much about it.
Do the 242. You will be happy.

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you get a 242 from a 96-2000 XJ, the input shafts will be the same as your 249. Then it's a simple unbolt and boltin project.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow thanks guys!!!! Great help!!! I'm going to check all junk yards around here and see what I can find. As far as gear cuts where do you guys stand? When did they change and should I be safe with my 96If I get a 242 out of a older ZJ will it matter? Thanks again guys!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you get a 242 from a 96-2000 XJ, the input shafts will be the same as your 249. Then it's a simple unbolt and boltin project.
so would this mean that if I had the 242 from a 99 xj to swap to my 95 zj 4.0 it would bolt right in? I thin kit will, just double checking. will I need the 99 rear driveshaft?? thanks a lot, you guys rock :)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Your 95 might have a longer input I think the change was sometime in 95. Also, at about that time they changed the gear cut. I know the 99XJ will bolt up to the 96-98 ZJ, but I'm not sure about the 95.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay just picked up a 242 out of a 99 XJ. The input shafts look shorter on the 242, so I'm just going to swap input shafts from my 249 into the 242. Thanks guys, great info. and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
828 Posts
The engine won't make any difference, as the tc is bolted to the tranny. 4wheelingbrian, are you sure the input from the 99 XJ 242 isn't the same as your 96 249? A dealer told me that as far as he knew the inputs were the same from late 95 through 2000 in the 249 and the 242.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thats why I was asking, wondered if the tranny was any different. on drivetrain.com they list the specs and say the input shaft length is the same for my 95 and a 99 xj.

·
Registered
828 Posts
It should fit ok. My 242 for my 97 ZJ came from a 98 XJ. When I put the 231 in, it came from a 2000 XJ. All were the short input like my 249 was.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anybody know where the VIN break was for the shaft change? Or a build-date? I just bought a 95 ZJ and my transfer case is fine for now, but I know it isn't going to last forever. Just wondering if it's going to be a pain or a direct bolt-in. I'd really rather not do the hybrid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
so I went to the junkyard and they had a 231 pulled for me. nice case, but I want a 242. they have 2 242 cases but both are from '00 grands. looks a lot different, can I MAKE it fit by combining the 2 (my 249 and one of the 242's from the 00) or should I just keep looking? thanks a lot!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts