Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok newb question. do all 249 tcase have the same shaft length? i ask for the reason of getting a 2nd 249 for the shaft and a 242 and building them first then just pull the old one out and rebuilt tcase in, anyone see a problem with that reasoning?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
you dont have to buy a new vic. just remove it andlook through the wireing harness behind it. unhook the red connectors and connect the black connectors, its that simple. the only other thing you will need is the metal shift lever that is connected to the 242, the 249 is longer, therefore it wont work for the 242. i bought my 242 from transfer case exchange, they sent me one that was ready to bolt up, no changing the input. i wanted a fresh rebuilt one anyway so i just told them that i was converting from the 249 to the 242 and gave them my trans type and engine type and year model and it bolted right up. costs about 780 for shipping and all but to me its worth the piece of mind to have a new case

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just finished up the swap today, good info from everyone. I have a 96 5.2 249 and got my 242 out of a 98 xj 4.0

Lucky me, the input shafts were the same!! 3 hour job. Driveshaft was about a .5 inch too long though. I ended up just getting a used shaft from the jy that was 1.5 inch shorter although I thought about just lifting it more to make the old shaft fit :)

Awesome t-case! The full time 4wd pretty much eliminates any bad behavior from the aussie in the back.

Thanks for the info everyone!

PS: if you have to take your case apart, the 'philips' screws for the snap ring cover are actually T15 Torx head screws

·
Registered
8 Posts
just thought I would ad this. some seal info for when replacing this to make things easier. Find this on a different build info at jeepforum.com
New Seals:

Cheap insurance if you're doing a transfer case swap.

Here's the part numbers for National brand seals from Advance Auto Parts:

NP242/231 rear output seal: 4370N
NP242 front output seal: 3946
NP231 front output seal: 710046
NP242/231 input shaft seal: 3173 (single lip)
NP242/231 input shaft seal: 710928 (dual lip, VERY nice seal!)
46RH, 42RE, 44RE, and 46RE transmission output seal (also known as rear seal): 710058
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/transfer-case-swap-info-np249-np231-np242-685644/
and this build also tells you what to do with the hiv to make it work with the new tcase

·
Registered
25 Posts
New here I have a 99 Wj and I have a np249 tc I want to swap for a np242 out of a 94 zj I have had my tc out and input shafts are different and saw where people swapped them but then came across some people who said that the gears on the older zj input shaft were cut differently than newer wj's? Wondering if anyone has done a swap where the gears did not match?

·
Registered
1 Posts
in middle of swap help!!!

I have a 93 jgc limited that I am swapping a 242 tc in. I got a 242 that was built in 93 to swap in. I just noticed today as I was tearing them down that the 242 does not have the shift indicator plug like the 249 does???

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here I have a 99 Wj and I have a np249 tc I want to swap for a np242 out of a 94 zj I have had my tc out and input shafts are different and saw where people swapped them but then came across some people who said that the gears on the older zj input shaft were cut differently than newer wj's? Wondering if anyone has done a swap where the gears did not match?
well i did a oposit swap from 2001 wj to 98 zj! it was plug and play as for input shafts but i replaced from broken 242 the autput shaft which has speedo gear! and you will need the shifter which are conected to t-case! if the input shaft would not match you can replace it from 249!

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey there guys the write ups are awesome and i have finally now pieced together the tcase and the front shaft (front shaft was missing when i bought the jeep so i figured replace the 249 since it is probally burnt up anyways)

i was wondering about measuring the front output length i got a 242 from a xj and the case says 1998 and i counted so i know its the 23 spline so thats fine but i was wondering about the output length i cant get a good measurement and it is more than .750 but def less than the 1.5 i think the other ones are..

and that measurement is from the base of the shaft that is exposed not from the lip that sicks out...

First picture is how i think im supposed to measure the shaft?

Second: How i might need to...

im hoping its the first way i measured so i can just bolt it in..

any help is appreciated

and sorry about the blurry second pic

·
Registered
70 Posts
Swiss over engineering

While upgrading my NP249 to a NP242 i decided that checking level with my finger
while having to remove a drain plug did not reach my expectations for my ZJ

Therefore i choose to instal an oil level indicator to see the level in my
TC at any time of my choosing w/o having to unscrew anything

Milling flat surface

Drilling Ø20.5mm

Tapping M22x1.5

Tapping M27x1.5

Finished machining

Visual gauge installed

I used Metric because both Drain Plug are in metric size and
also because i already have both the tools in stock in my workshop

To have the oil level at the mid of indicator it will raise the level 0.45" to be exact
this will not cause any spill by the way

The indicator come from ELESA :
GN.37707 / GN 743.1-18-M27x1.5-A
its made out of aluminum and can be used in a range of +180° / -20°
http://www.elesa.com/scheda_en_2_7367_1_4.aspx

the next step is to drill the lower drain plug to fit a temp. gauge in it

At this time my car is setting on my drive way

On going overhaul of the axles
waiting on the delivery of Aussie lockers for both axles

NP 242 waiting for final assembly

Both my axles did make noise the previous owner did not check levels
they where almost dry of any oil, all bearings in both axles need to be replaced

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did the 249 to 242 swap the other day. Still have a bit of work to do on the linkage but I have 2wd and have 4wd high.
I removed the VIC and did the wire disconnect/connect thing (man what a time locating the two black plugs) but my VIC says FULL TIME. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? Where do I get the shorter linkage the 242 needs.
Oh, this is a 98 GCL with the 5.2 and automatic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did the 249 to 242 swap the other day. Still have a bit of work to do on the linkage but I have 2wd and have 4wd high.
I removed the VIC and did the wire disconnect/connect thing (man what a time locating the two black plugs) but my VIC says FULL TIME. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong? Where do I get the shorter linkage the 242 needs.
Oh, this is a 98 GCL with the 5.2 and automatic.
Which TC switch did you put on it ?
If the 242 come from a GC with 4L its ok
but if it come from a Cherokee you have to use the one from your 249
You shall use the lever that was with the 242 an
then adjust the length of linkage

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I resurrect a dormant thread, I have a 98 Tsi with a 4.0 and a 249. 207k and the T-case is binding. Seems pretty easy swap if you can find a 242 with the proper tailshaft. I read that the 93-95 242's came with an internal slip yoke like my 249 and the 96-98 242's used an external SY which would require more work. Can someone enlighten me as to which 242 to shop for at the local salvage yards?

61 - 77 of 77 Posts