Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 249 in the DD is finally toast...ive been doing alot of research, but cant get a good answer from anything i find. the donor case (231) was from a 95 grand 4.0 42re, and the 249 im replacing is out of a 96 grand 4.0 42re. im wondering if ill have to change brackets and linkage, crossmember, driveshafts, etc. i just wanna know what all ill have to get from the bone yard to do this swap right. anyone with any input is appriciated!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I did the swap, and all of my drive shafts and everything else worked correctly when swapping to the 231. If you swap to the 242, then you need to change rear drive shafts.

A buddy of mine did this and has a great tech write up on this on the www.jeepsrus.org website.

Drop me a line if you need any assistance on this.

BigD

Reactions: BloNdeChiNeEz

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excellent info, thank you very much. I just picked up a 95 Grand with a bad 249 in it for 500 bucks.

I want to get it on the road, and I don't want to deal with another viscous failure in a JY 249 in a few months as it will be my only vehicle. I want no downtime except the few hours needed to swap cases. Buying custom driveshafts and whatnot is out of my price range for the time being.

I build transmissions for a living, so tcases are easy, but I can't have the swap nickel and dime me to death.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I swapped 249->242 with v8. The only concern was having the correct input shaft. I bought from a yard in northeast that knew what I needed. I had 93 so all Ujoints and kept same shafts. It was a great change and very pleased. That was back in 2001.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts