Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks entirely wrong. Is it lifted? I had a 247 in my Ltd and swapped a 242 into it, no troubles for over 100,000 miles. The TC is bolted to the trans tailshaft? Look at the rear of the TC and take the data off the tag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Make sure the t-case is bolted up to the trans properly. Also check your transmission mount, a worn out one will cause the trans and t-case to dip towards the back of the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Isn't there supposed to be a double cardan on that end? My 04 has a double cardan on the t/case end and a standard one on the axle end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Previous owner installed t/c, which I believe is bolted one stud off, which should clock it right position. Wasn't sure on double cardan shaft, didn't have shaft when I got, going to get one though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just installed front driveshaft, on 2004 WJ, previous owner swapped in a 242. Now I have vibration noise. Could t/c have been installed wrong? Angle doesn't seem right to me.
Thanks
Get rid of the tc drop ..off set up drive shift at 1.5 degrees...

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks entirely wrong. Is it lifted? I had a 247 in my Ltd and swapped a 242 into it, no troubles for over 100,000 miles. The TC is bolted to the trans tailshaft? Look at the rear of the TC and take the data off the tag.
Don't panic.... Don't get sucked into buying a bunch of stuff you don't need. Assuming you own it, first thing is what do you want to use it for? Silly question but it's the basis of what direction you want to go, daily driver? Since you are getting a vibration it sounds like you want to drive it on the highway? First, find out exactly what you bought. Do you do your own work or send it to a shop? Letting a shop tinker is extremely expensive. What are your limitations... be honest. Get a CD Factory Shop Manual, read it. Spend time in web sites and come to understand exactly what you have and where you want to go. When I bought my 04 Ltd I didn't know a 247 from a 242. The TC was a POS so I looked up what was needed. (247's are a POS) I found out ALL the pieces I needed to swap a 242 in. (Note: Lorado's come with 242, Ltd have 247) Went to one yard that had all the stuff and got it all at once, then took time to do the install right. Replaced the trans rear seal and TC seals. Got the cables, proper cable bracket and center console for the 242.
That's it for now. Best wishes.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Exactly. Without the double cardan at the case, your angles can't possibly be right to eliminate vibration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts