Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 231 is almost ready! Spent the day yesterday swapping guts, buying parts, and making tools. Had to swap the input bearing and gear. Huge thanks to my brother! Without his help I'd probably just now be finishing.

Unfinished business includes the shift indicator switch. I plugged the hole with a bolt. While I'd previously thought the only real change involved the wiring harness I discovered the case depths are different; the 249 switch won't screw in more than half-way because the cam is much closer to the outside. The housings are visibly different here.

Choices:

-Get a TJ switch and fix the wiring.
-Order an early 231 zj switch and hope case housings haven't changed.
-Futz an extension/jam nut so the 249 switch will fit properly.

Any thoughts? Have 231 housings changed over the years?

In search of pretty lights.

-Dave

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
On 2002-03-28 14:09, el stupido wrote:
...snip...

Choices:

-Get a TJ switch and fix the wiring.
-Order an early 231 zj switch and hope case housings haven't changed.
-Futz an extension/jam nut so the 249 switch will fit properly.

Any thoughts? Have 231 housings changed over the years?

In search of pretty lights.

-Dave
Dave,

Yes, the housings changed. It's been a long time...but the 249 switch is a long throw, three 'position' switch. The 231 that worked with the VIC was a vacuum operated switch and the other 231's are short throw swicthes - you can't get enough voltage difference to work with the existing components.

I toyed with the idea of creating a new circuit for a while, but when I got into IC integration, I gave up.

Good luck, and let us know if you find any way to make it work.

Jay

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Dave good to hear you got it in. I did nothing with the vic. I know what mode my t case is in. Heck I still have the 249 shift bezel :laugh:

I also had to swap input shafts. I just swapped out the whole planetary set. Had the whole thing in and out in a few hours.
Lets go wheelin!
Nathan

Hey ever get that tail light fixed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to be slow getting back. Cut/split about 5 cord of firewood over the past two days and felt it.

Anyone know for certain of 99ish 231's working with early 249 planetaries/input gears? Seems these late model cases are "more different". Have to tear it back apart and see what's wrong. The symptom is vague low-range engagement. It worked briefly (100ft) then started grinding. It engages somewhat then climbs out. George at TCU thinks there may be shoulder depth changes that could torpedo the plan completely. He doesn't do these early zj/late tj swaps because the lack of tailshaft extension and the switch incompatibility that started this thread. Bah humbug. Have another arriving with SYE so it'll happen but not as easily as I'd hoped.

Nate, I'm up for it! I've started making runs with a local club. Some of these guys have been wheeling since the 70's but they aren't hardcore. Just out for fun. Had a blast at Shotgun crk in the snow where my pizza cutters did me proud. No other Grands in the club yet so it's fun to see their reactions: "Geez, that thing has lots of travel!" :D

-Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay, thanks for the details. I figured something was very different. The tallest cam position prevents shifting with the zj switch installed, even at depths that should allow it. TJ switch ends must be shaped differently. Ah well, the bolt will suffice until it's rolling again.

-Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts