Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought myself a new toy in mid-December, a 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.0 EcoDiesel. I was on the fence as to what to do because my son is going to buy my 04 Overland WJ from me when he gets his license in late May. I wasn't really needing to buy a car, but I fell in love with an SRT at a dealership about 2 hours away. I made an appointment, agreed in principle to a buying price and opportunity. I grabbed the wife and told her we were going to drive a diesel and then the SRT to make sure I wanted the hotrod.

Long story short, they sold the SRT out from under me while I was travelling up to drive it. A couple weeks later, they price lowered to an unimaginable number for the diesel and I went back and bought it. So much for planned purchases, right?

After buying the Trailhawk, I knew i needed to make it a little more competent and a little more "me" so I started ordering the items I wanted.

I went to www.theretrofitsource.com and picked up a set of LED H11's for my low beam/DRL's, a pair of H11 35 Watt 5000K HID for the Fogs and a pair of HID 55Watt 5500K for the Hi beams. Of course, CANBUS and additional harnesses to be sure everything was good. I also snagged a pair of sweet LED "switchback" lamps for the front markers. They go from a nice clean white light when rolling to flashing amber during turn signal use. Sweet!

I picked up a bunch of little LED's and swapped out the visor, side marker, reverse, rear cargo, front feet, glovebox, and rear side markers.

I went to www.chiefproducts.com.au and ordered up a set of the Trek Eleven rock rails (!), the front sump skid, the transmission skid (can you believe the factory does not put a skidplate under the PLASTIC pan for the ZF8HP75 transmission!?) and the hidden winch mount. I gotta say, if you haven't seen the Chief Products stuff yet, and are interested in upping you WK2 - go check them out. They have US distribution, and their stuff is INSANE. The fit and finish is spectacular, and there was absolutely NO massaging, manipulating or tweaking that i had to do to make things work. EVERYTHING simply bolted right in place the first time. Their stuff is that good.

From there, I used my wholesale purchasing ability and bought a Warn Xeon 10-2 Platinum winch, a rear cargo mat, and a Cherokee Trailhawk recovery bag.

I had a local provider come out and tint the front windows to 20% and the rears limo 5% on top of the factory (I carry some stuff all the time, and don't need prying eyes).

Last but not least, (and feel free to make fun!) I picked up a quart of the HydroSilex copper protectant (hydrophobic coating) to try and maintain the sexy Velvet Red Pearlcoat paint.

Right now I am waiting for a delivery of admittedly trashy but necessary protective self-healing stickers for the entry guards.

So at this point, I'd say the Trailhawk is almost as competent as my WJ is. I'll be excited to give it a try as soon as I get some final tweaks done on the rock rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I bought myself a new toy in mid-December, a 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with the 3.0 EcoDiesel. I was on the fence as to what to do because my son is going to buy my 04 Overland WJ from me when he gets his license in late May. I wasn't really needing to buy a car, but I fell in love with an SRT at a dealership about 2 hours away. I made an appointment, agreed in principle to a buying price and opportunity. I grabbed the wife and told her we were going to drive a diesel and then the SRT to make sure I wanted the hotrod.

Long story short, they sold the SRT out from under me while I was travelling up to drive it. A couple weeks later, they price lowered to an unimaginable number for the diesel and I went back and bought it. So much for planned purchases, right?

After buying the Trailhawk, I knew i needed to make it a little more competent and a little more "me" so I started ordering the items I wanted.

I went to www.theretrofitsource.com and picked up a set of LED H11's for my low beam/DRL's, a pair of H11 35 Watt 5000K HID for the Fogs and a pair of HID 55Watt 5500K for the Hi beams. Of course, CANBUS and additional harnesses to be sure everything was good. I also snagged a pair of sweet LED "switchback" lamps for the front markers. They go from a nice clean white light when rolling to flashing amber during turn signal use. Sweet!

I picked up a bunch of little LED's and swapped out the visor, side marker, reverse, rear cargo, front feet, glovebox, and rear side markers.

I went to www.chiefproducts.com.au and ordered up a set of the Trek Eleven rock rails (!), the front sump skid, the transmission skid (can you believe the factory does not put a skidplate under the PLASTIC pan for the ZF8HP75 transmission!?) and the hidden winch mount. I gotta say, if you haven't seen the Chief Products stuff yet, and are interested in upping you WK2 - go check them out. They have US distribution, and their stuff is INSANE. The fit and finish is spectacular, and there was absolutely NO massaging, manipulating or tweaking that i had to do to make things work. EVERYTHING simply bolted right in place the first time. Their stuff is that good.

From there, I used my wholesale purchasing ability and bought a Warn Xeon 10-2 Platinum winch, a rear cargo mat, and a Cherokee Trailhawk recovery bag.

I had a local provider come out and tint the front windows to 20% and the rears limo 5% on top of the factory (I carry some stuff all the time, and don't need prying eyes).

Last but not least, (and feel free to make fun!) I picked up a quart of the HydroSilex copper protectant (hydrophobic coating) to try and maintain the sexy Velvet Red Pearlcoat paint.

Right now I am waiting for a delivery of admittedly trashy but necessary protective self-healing stickers for the entry guards.

So at this point, I'd say the Trailhawk is almost as competent as my WJ is. I'll be excited to give it a try as soon as I get some final tweaks done on the rock rails.
Hey there 👋, how's it going? I have a few questions for you. Where did you get the switch back lighting for the turn signals question that you mentioned in your discussion? Also, same question for the interior LED lights? And I didn't know that they made a 2018 diesel. Was that allocated to certain states only? Thanks in advance, for your response. Kevin

·
Registered
5 Posts
It looks really great. How's it doing these days?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts