Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter had the battery replaced in her car by a novice. The car would not turn over unless it was jumped so a friend said he could do it after watching a Youtube clip. After replacing the battery, none not only does it not start, there is no power to any instrument/light etc. I suspect he grounded the car out but he swears he did not do anything that caused a spark or short to ground situation. I do not know if there is a fusable link or some other safety cut off to protect the electrical system. The new battery is supposedly good (checked at advance where the battery was purchased). The car does not respond to a jump either. I am a retired mechanic (most experience is pre-2013/14) and am going to travel 2 hrs. to take a look. Not even sure my Launch device will even be able to get a reading when I hook it up. Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Backwards?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt, if he connected the positive terminal to ground, there would have been fireworks. Guess i will find out when I test the electrical system with a multimeter
So the car has an auxillary battery which feeds the fuse box. the battery was reading 3.5V so i replaced the battery. Power was restored but the battery quickly drained and the car shut down. I checked the main battery and it was charging at 14.7V while the car was running so the alternator at least was charging the main batteryot sure about the design of the aux. battery system but it did not charge while the car was running and it quickly dropped from 12V to 5V and the car shut down. Ended up taking it to the dealer and the service manager had no idea but did say he has seen problems with the stop and start systems. guess i will find out soon what the problem was. Hope it's covered under warrenty ffor my daughters sake.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts