Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oil pan is rusting on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
Is this an easy job or is the exhaust or front axle in the way?
Thanks

·
Registered
Jeep grand Cherokee limited edition 2015
10 Posts
The oil pan is rusting on my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.
Is this an easy job or is the exhaust or front axle in the way?
Thanks
You can cheat and jack up the internal combustion engine carefully, lifting it with supports, then everything is done on the lift in 3 hours with smoke breaks

·
Registered
61 Posts
How bad is the rust, extensive pitting?
If not just clean it up with a wire brush then hit it with rust inhibitive paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How bad is the rust, extensive pitting?
If not just clean it up with a wire brush then hit it with rust inhibitive paint.
Thanks for the reply. The pan was rusting very bad on the outside as with everything else under the vehicle.
I figured as it was in an easy location with nothing in the way, I replaced it.
I probably could have did what you said, but last year I had a trans leak due to a rusted pan.
This Jeep has never been on the beach and we generally don't get much snow. I am not understanding why the entire underbody parts are rusting. My brake lines are next to replace very soon.
The Jeep runs fantastic but I could see myself getting rid of it because of the rust issues.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
What does your state use to treat roads, some are pre-treating with a Calcium Chloride solution that kills body and frames.
Have you checked Chrysler for any recalls or Technical Service Bulletins concerning body or frame rust for your year Jeep?
I know there have been recalls on other Chrysler products where frame components were replaced due to no rust inhibitor during assembly.
I think it was the toy Jeep line the piece that tied the rear suspension arms together were rotting away completely.
Every Fall and Spring I would take my Dodge Powerwagon to the car was to blast off the under carriage then hit it with a rattle can of flat black paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts