Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2010 JEEP Grand Cherokee that had some type of electronic problem. Dealer charged us $1500 to take vehicle apart to find the problem. Now they say it needs a wire harness that Jeep has discontinued. Our options are to scrap this 10 year old vehicle or try to find the part in a junk yard or after market. I believe the dealership has tried to locate the part after market with no success. The dealership did say if part was located it would cost about $4500 to repair. We are not able to do this repair ourselves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
87 Posts
That sounds fishy as hell but you already know that.
Highly recommend getting a second opinion from someone familiar with these vehicles.
Unfortunately, this forum doesnt get a whole lot of activity anymore so the technical help you get here will probably be limited.
It looks like the service manual is readily available online. That should include wiring diagrams. You probably know somebody who can review those diagrams and compare them to your symptoms and what the dealer is claiming to have found in order to give you a sanity check.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is my honest opinion. The vehicle is 10 years old. (Strike One) You have an electrical issue that the dealer recommends a new wiring harness (major repair) that you already are $1500 for a diagnostic, and estimate another $4500 ...$6000 so far. (Strike two).....the book value is plummeting monthly on a 10 year old jeep. (Strike three.) Electrical fires happen all the time. I assume you have insurance coverage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unless I missed it you didn't say the nature of the problem.
No run, no lights, no instrument display.
So.
If your Jeep in good mechanical condition and runs put it on Craigslist.
You'll get a better price than scrappers pay. Since China stopped buying metal for recycling prices have dropped to $180 for haul away.
Next would be trade in price incentives at the dealer on a new vehicle.
Me, I'd break out my soldering iron and shrink tubing and have at it if the dealer pinpointed the fault.
Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts