Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving 70 down freeway, started to slow down, could not accelerate because it seemed to bog pulled over and vehicle died. Could not get it to stay running. It starts and runs for a few seconds and dies. Seems to be starving for fuel, but pump is working correctly and right pressure. I am lost as to what else it could be. I pulled the air filter and sprayed with carb cleaner and it would stay running so I know spark is good. Any ideas?

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
How do you know it has good fuel pressure? How do you know the pump is good, and when was the last time the fuel pump was changed?

If you can spray a fuel/flammable liquid down the throttle body and it stays running, it obviously isn't getting fuel. You either have insufficient pressure, or there is an electronic problem that isn't allowing your injectors to fire properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauge read 45 at the rail. I don't know when the pump was changed last, but I am thinking that is not the problem. I am questioning if something has gone wrong with my security system? worn chip in key? It almost seems as if the vehicle was disabled as I was driving it. It wasn't die when I gassed it, it just wouldn't accelerate, like the fuel system was shut off. Any clues as to the fix on this problem if that is the case? I talked to the dealership and they said that if I tried to start it more than 3 times after it has been disabled, it locks all the modules and I have to bring it in. The only thing that makes this not possible is the security light never came on, and still doesn't unless I am just putting the keys in the ignition (when all instrument lights light up). Still am clueless... this is why I drive older vehicles... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crankshaft sensor? or ignition module? ugh...

·
Registered
37 Posts
check the throttle position sensor i just replaced one last week on a 01 wj 4.7 they are a common failure for irratic idle and dieing issues
also clean out the throttle body and idle air control motor on the side of the throttle and make sure the passages are clear also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts