Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i just finished the 247 to 242 swap. Everything but the wiring harness to the trans is done. I am having issues getting the tcase into 2wd often. It was a used case with 60K on it, so I did NOT rebuild it.
What is the most common cause of issues shifting from 4WD PT to 2WD?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you move the shifter cable to the bottom hole on the shift bracket? For the 247 it's in the top hole, for the 242 it should be in the bottom hole. You can also try shifting the lever by hand to make sure something's not wrong in the tcase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
UGA, I was looking at your signature and noticed you have the Addco saw bar. I thought I'd share my experience with you. The Addco is way stiffer than the factory which is okay when you're doing street driving. If you plan to off-road a lot (which I'm guessing you are since you're doing the 242 swap), then I would ditch the rear Addco in favor of the stock sway bar. When I bought my WJ it had the Addco, which I thought was great, until it ripped out of the unibody "frame" rails. Yes, both sides. The Addco is too stiff and the unibody sway bar mounts aren't strong enough to take that force when you off-road it. So either reinforce the mount location or switch back to the stock sway bar. The stock sway bar will also allow your rear axle to move more (and better) when off-roading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts