Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be getting a 2wd 2002 Grand cherokee from a friend of my dads from work. It is almost perfect and I fell in love with it. I know I could just get a cheap doner car and pull the parts I need to change it over to 4wd. On all the forums I have seen I people have just said the big parts that they needed but can someone who has done it write up a list of all the parts that are needed to do this swap. It is a 6cyl automatic if that matters.

·
YETI - The Abominable WJ
3,762 Posts
Seriously, you would need to get a pretty sweet deal to even make this worth it. Most of the guys that do it have already dumped thousands in mods into their jeep, so they don't want to part with it.

It would be much easier, and probably cheaper to just by a 4x4.

I have a lot of wrenching experience, and I wouldn't do this. That being said, I will try and get the list started. Maybe others can chime in with more tips:

New center console
Interior shifter handle
Interior shifter linkages
Shifter cable and t-case linkage
transfer case (I am not sure if the crossmember is different or the same)
complete front axle (with steering parts, sway bar endlinks, not sure if the sway is different. Make sure the gear ratio matches your rear differential unless you want to change that too.)
front driveline
rear driveline (that matches your t-case and differential, many options here)
time
energy
enthusiasm

I am sure there are other little things, but i have never done this. I am not sure if you will need a 4x4 transmission, but I think you can just remove part of the tail housing and bolt up the t-case.

The easiest way to do this would be to find a wrecked jeep, swap the parts over, and then part out your leftovers. I would swap the tranny/t-case as one unit rather than separating them.

If you do this, take a ton of pics and share your insight. I don't want to discourage you, it just sounds like a ton of work to me. I prefer to spend my time on upgrades. But it could be a fun project, and it would really make you feel like the jeep was your own. It would really be a "built not bought" project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply it is a realy good deal and that's the only reason I'm considering it. It is in almost perfect condition and I'm going to get it for about 3 grand. I'm going to be having my cousin help me out with it he has a 1999 xj that he has done lots of to so he felt comfortable with it. When I Do it I will make a write up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the reply it is a realy good deal and that's the only reason I'm considering it. It is in almost perfect condition and I'm going to get it for about 3 grand. I'm going to be having my cousin help me out with it he has a 1999 xj that he has done lots of to so he felt comfortable with it. When I Do it I will make a write up.
Try to find a totaled one for cheap. Otherwise it will be very expensive.

Best bet is to.. Buy it, clean it up. Sell it for double that price and buy a 4x4 one. :D

·
Registered
908 Posts
It's almost always a mistake to 'fall in love' with a Jeep that you don't have yet, that doesn't have what you want.

You will REGRET doing this.

Keep looking for a 4x4 is my advice.

SERIOSLY!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts