Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my jeep for 4 years and this issue has been present for roughly half that time. It has been a regular issue (where I can count on it happening) for the last 6-8 months. So here's the problem:

When turning LEFT and ONLY LEFT my jeep will slip between 1 & 2 ONLY. Now it can be avoided by turning very sharp to start the turn and then speeding up therefore doing most of the turn before it wants to shift.

The slip will vary in degrees. If I'm already moving in first and take a gradual turn (10-20 degrees) it will slip for maybe 5-10 seconds and jump back in with no major clunk or slam. If you take off from a stand still and get into hard making a 90 degree left turn it will slip for 30-45 seconds and jump back in with a loud clunk and the jerk to follow if I don't let off. I only had to have that happen once to learn to let off. If I do the 90 degree turn going faster and then let off, it will peacefully go back in gear and I can take off.

Again, this is ONLY A LEFT TURN situation. Straight and right are smooth and solid as can be like it's a new jeep.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about this, but it could just be that you have low tranny oil in the pan. If your oil pump is on the left hand side of your tranny you could be opening up the pump when gravity takes the oil to the right as your rig turns left, leaving your pump acting like it has no oil causing it to slip.
Check your levels, if the oil level is good you may want to get some new oil, filter and gasket put on there just to be sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts