Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first Jeep in August 2009; a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8 and realized it had a coolant leak coming from the heater core. My Jeep-head friend and I took the dash apart and got to the HVAC unit located behind the glove box area, and could get no further because of lack of HVAC experience. I took it to Firestone and had the heater core replaced, yet my vents still blow cold air. I put the dash back together and replaced the thermostat, but I fear in putting the dash back together I may have not closed the damper doors. I have no idea where the damper doors are- this is my first foray into automobile maintenance and DIY repair. I'm confident I have the cooling system running properly but I still get ice cold air from my vents (being in Buffalo NY in the winter this is bad, real bad). I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some suggestions and help trying to correct this enigmatic problem.

I've been doing some research about temperature blend doors and think maybe that is where the problem lies. It's so tough to get out there and work on it in the cold (I have no heated garage) just to tinker around, I dont wanna go out there and try to do something until I have some firm ideas to try to make it work.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
chances are your blend doors need to be repaired...ebay sells a kit called the Heater Treater...search for it and it will explain what it is...

here is something for you to look at

http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds like these heater core leaks are common among WJ's. My friend's rig also developed a leak in the core, and I have read about many more. Anyone know which year(s) are involved, or if they ever got it right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mine is a 2000. My best friend has the same exact jeep I do (his is actually blue, not black and has the towing package) and has never had a heater core problem. I should probably let him know.

So I guess we can add year 2000 to the list of bad-core-years. Still no repair developments that I know of.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I wouldn't say a leaking heater core on a 10 year old truck is an exceptionally abnormal thing. My '99 hasn't leaked, yet, with 147k miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts