Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I release the gas after accelerating from a stop the vehicle kind of jumps forward and I hear a clunk from underneath. It also seems to shift pretty hard from first to second (automatic)...

My transmission was replaced a few weeks back with a re-manufactured, but it was doing the same thing even before it failed.

Any ideas what may be causing this?
I appreciate any information that you all may have...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
...hmmm.. clunk sounds mount related/ possibly the transfer case(if its 4wd) The harsh shifts are probably going to be TPS related.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
lol its ok Sweetie. I keep you for you looks anyways!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's not a 4x4, and the torque converter was replaced a few weeks back. I don't have a clue what to look for on the TPS so I am stumped [smilie=bal_tnk.gif]

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The TPS (Thottle Position Sensor) is a sensor on your throttle body. It tells the computer how far you are pushing the throttle telling the engine and the tranny what you are wanting to do. If the TPS is faulty your transmission will recieve incorrect signals and operate incorrectly.

Again it's mounted on your throttle body and it's not expensive to replace. It's easy to do the work yourself. What's your engine size?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's a 4.0L 6 cylinder....

I will definitely look into it.
Thanks for your help and any more info you may have! [smilie=bal_thanx.gif]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, is it possible to test the TPS with an OBD tester?

If not, what is the best way to do so?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i went to autozone and ran the OBD-II test (for free) and no codes came up so it isnt the TPS

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hmm....I don't know if a code will always be shown for a TPS problem though. You may want to go ahead and replace it, it's not expensive and it's worth a shot IMO.

On a V8 the TPS is on the throttle body, I'm not sure with a I6 though. Is it the same Angelous?

·
Registered
330 Posts
The clunk is probably the drive shaft slip yoke hanging up a little. The fix is to generously grease the splines. For the hard shifting I would check the fluid level,TPS, O2 sensors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The slipyoke clunking is a common problem on XJs. My WJ has never done it but it is possible. The TPS might not throw a code if if its going bad but still within the computers specs. Like was said earlier start cheap and work your way up. Grease the slip yoke first. then check the mounts. Fluid level and condition then TPS and other sensors. Noises can be a pain to track down so be patient. Good Luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
could be low fluid level. i just change my fluid and filter and it took me a week of driving and adding fluid as needed. shifted rough at first but after i did this it's fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ive got a 98 Grand Cherokee that is slamming into third gear if you lift the throttle. It seems to make a sharp hissing sound like air brakes when this happens. Shifting manually seems ok and 1st and 2 nd shifting up and down are perfect. Any ideas on what that might be? Is there a pressure sensor on the transmission?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts