Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1998 complete rear axle assembly swap

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JayH 
#1 ·
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out which axle assembly's would fit in my car, 1998 grand cherokee 4.0L, it has a Dana 35, I was wondering if something out of a 2001 Jeep grand cherokee would fit? if not, would there be anyway to modify it to make it work? (I've tracked down a local 35 Dana but it's out of a 2001 that's why I specifically ask about that one)
Thanks

#2 ·
First, I'm not here very often.
Next, you didn't mention why you were looking to swap axles? Way too many unknowns to give an accurate answer.

Usually want to stay in the same model series. 93-98 was the ZJ.
Some things changed with the WJ 99+. Hopefully someone else can chime in on WJ stuff.

Axle swaps are a lot of work, even when it is the same one. I've done a few and none were fun.
Unless the axle housing is bent or you are looking for an upgrade, just rebuild what you have (unless used axle is cheap).
D35 is usually good up to 33" tire, maybe 35" if careful on pedal, and don't use a locker (limited slip is okay).
If you are looking for a stronger axle, then Ford 8.8 would be the way to go for rear ZJ. It's just a take less in width (can use spacers), whole lot stronger, easily sourced with trac-lok diff, cheap parts, bracket kits available, etc.

Hope that helps.

#3 ·
Two options that are bolt in. D35 which you already have, or a D44A (or HD depending on who you follow)... Make sure you match the gear ratio of your front. Most everything else will require fabrication of some sort.

#4 ·
The WJ d35 was equipped with bracketry for an upper A-arm while your ZJ was set up for a five-link suspension. In short, it won't be a straight swap, you'll have to fabricate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.