Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am the second owner of this stock 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. It is the Deep Slate and has the step bars. No signs of ever being wheeled. It has 184,xxx miles on it and runs and drives good. It is my daily driver. The engine is strong and the transmission shifts great. No problems. It does have a crack in the windshield, the A/C doesn't work, it has the infamous "coolant sensor bad" quirk and the VC in the 249 transfer case is shot. Other than that it's ready for anything. The tires and good and the battery was purchased brand new in March. The back liftgate was repainted and I don't have any information on why. It looks like it was down a long time ago because there is some small rust on the bottom of the liftgate. The Jeep is located in Overland Park, KS you can email me at [email protected] if you have questions. $2800 Thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Is This Still Out There?

Hello There,
Just checking if this thing is still out there to be had? She's a bit high in the Mileage but does seem to be in good shape. Did you ever CarFax her to see if perhaps she was in some sort of a rearend like accident many years ago which might explain the repaint? Also, many average drivers have issues backing up an SUV when not being used to them, so could have been a modest parking lot or other similar thing too...

Anyway, let me know if she is still out there to be had and what you're present price is. Thanks much and have a good night...

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not done a Car Fax on it but I can get an Auto Check done at the local Jeep dealership which will tell the same thing. I'll let you know what turns up because with the paint work there has to be a record of something.

I do still have it for sale but I'm not in a huge hurry to get rid of it. I have it listed for $2800 but would certainly entertain any reasonable offer.

Joe

·
Registered
466 Posts
Thanks, Few More Questions Please...

Frank,
I gather the crack in the WS must be pretty small because I'm not sure I see it, unless its that larger thing in the middle there... Hard to tell even though your pics are pretty nice and clear.

Is she "Clean" and rust free underneth and other similar important places? Rockers. Sun Roof nice and tight again for lack of leaks and roof, headliners and rust like issues. I'm not a big fan of them but many of the better models seem to always have them so you've got to keep them healthy for the health of the Jeep.

When you say the VC is shot (as many of them do for sure) is it because its starting to get too tight and not slipping enough especially in tight turns and parking lot like situations? I ask because here where the weather can get a bit "slippery" to say the least, sometimes "Tight" is fine when its White outside if you get what I mean. I've always wanted to do a 242 swap in a V-8 ZJ but have never gotten around to doing one as of yet.

But I have to say she looks Pretty and Clean and Certainly has my attention. Thanks in advance....

Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Paul,

I will try and get some better pics of things you asked about today. The crack in the WS is big. It goes from the rear view mirror area down to the lower driver's side of the window. It was pretty small until I washed it one hot summer day. The cold water on the hot windshield spread the crack all the way across the WS. There is a little rust on the bottom of the liftgate you can see it in the pic. Also note that the paint is cracked on peeling on the rear bumper cover (both corners). Over all it's pretty "Clean" There is a little rust on the bottom side where the step bars are bolted on. I'll get some more pics or a video walk around and post it. The headliner was starting to fall over the driver's seat. I spray glued it back up and it's been holding for several months. There are no leaks from the sunroof and it operates fine. The Jeep does hop a little on tight turns and in and out of tight parking spaces. That is why I say the VC is shot. If you drive it on the highway for awhile and let the VC heat up it makes the symptoms even more apparent. When you first start driving and on short trips to the store and back it's not too bad but still present. Let me know if you have any other questions while I'm getting more pics for you.

Last weekend I took apart the VIC and fixed the coolant sensor bad warning. That issue is resolved.

BTW "FrankCougar" is a screen name I have used for years. My name is Joe. Nice to meet you.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took some better pictures of the underside of the Jeep. There is a little rust on the lip of the tailgate and the bottom lip of the driver's door. The other three doors are pretty much rust free. The underside is pretty solid. There is one spot where the step bars are bolted to the Jeep that is a little soft. I have a better picture of the cracked windshield. Let me know if you have any problems viewing the online album.

http://s1097.photobucket.com/albums/g349/frankcougar/Slate%2059%20underside/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts