Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the posts about 42RE problems without finding one like mine, so I decided to post my findings. I did'nt have the "limp home" high gear start, and also had no codes. What I had was, one day the trans. was perfect...and the next morning when I woke up to go to work the engine hiccuped but got me to NYC no problem. On the way home that night it ran uneven & rough, and was down on power. Went to sleep, woke up early the next day and then and it would'nt move. It was slipping, and stalling the convertor up way too high....and I knew I was burning things up while it did. However, putting the T-case in Neutral, and running the shifter through the gears manually confirmed the trans was shifting. Then, when I put the T-case back in gear, the trans. worked and I drove to work. This went on for days, until it got worse....besides I knew I would wipe the internals out. I read all about the ATF+3 situation, and was running Dextron since I read it on the stick. I dropped the pan to try to get this right, and found the following: 3-4 accum. spring broken and collapsed, & gov. sol. screen plugged almost completely with sludge & metal particles. I replaced the spring w/ a spare, and carefully cleaned the filter/screen w/ solvent, a soft brush & compressed air. After buttoning the pan back up and filling her up with ATF+4, I held my breath and tried my luck. Same thing, until I did the T-case trick again and it all went back to normal. Only thing, was some slight slippage @ cold starts if not warmed up, and I understood that to be either friction surfaces glazed from slipping or the dreaded "hard rubber" parts I've read about. So, after much thought, as a last resort...I dumped a bottle of Lucas in. My trans. now shifts better than ever, the slippage is gone 100%, and the motor feels stronger than ever. I believe that if the gov. pressure sensor reads too low a pressure(from the clogged screens & thinner fluid), it will detune the engine and cause the condition I had with my trans. Anyone else have/had this issue? Or, anyone care to explain what happened in more detail??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there any reason why, "as a last resort...I dumped a bottle of Lucas in"? I'm thinking of changing the fluid and filter in my ZJ and, since it has high milage, I was thinking of adding some of the Lucas trans fluid in there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hmmmm. i bet this is why my jeep has been running like crap. i thought it was a fuel issue but its been running great for almost a month now. i just cant drive up steep hills and every now and again it will slip when i go to punch the gas.. the lucas non slip fluid crap fixed it the first time but ive got a small leak in my tranny line. i bet it leaked all out.. ill get some tomorrow in the AM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts