Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long time stalker first time poster. I present to all you ZJ gurus my Jeep in the hope you can help me.

VEHICLE:

1995 Grand Cherokee Lardeo 4.0

BACKROUND:

I bought this a few years back after a few thousand miles I had issues with stalling followed by periods of no start for about 30-60 min then shed fire right up but who knows for how long. I brought it to several mechanics for repairs and all were quick to diagnose things it would run for a while with some improvement usually but then trouble would start again soon.

Components replaced/claimed to have been replaced
Crank sensor
Cam sensor
Fuel pump

Eventually it got were the jeep would run for 5- 60 secs then rarely start again unless a fair amount of time had pasted. Then after I figured they were all idiots I got a computer from The outfit in Davie, FL. Immediately it ran for much longer periods of time usually about a half hour maybe only 5 min but it would always restart. I took this to mean that the new comp must have been good since it produced clear and reproducible results. It sat like this for a while then a buddy told me sounds like a IAC issue. It was cheap so I bought one the old one was very dirty this didn't seem to help. Then i used that really good 12 things to do with a stalling ZJ post. I went threw what I believe to be everything. I couldn't find any issues. My diagnosis is the comp. I got one from a 95 limited in the junkyard (I have a laredo) whenever i use the limited computer it fires up and immediately dies no matter what this is the same issue I had with my original comp. Also the limited PCM looks slightly different from mine but im not sure if that because Davie, FL sent me the wrong replacement.

Current Status:

-I have a ZJ which runs always and stalls intermittently.
-Always able to restart immediate
-Has spark have spark at my plugs seems like always
-Have tested fuel with a pressure gauge like 35-40 IIRC
-Have DTC 35 and 76

Any help would be appreciated on how I should precede just wanna make sure I'm being smart about this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sensors from the Autozone/Oreilly/etc... chains are notoriously unreliable. Use factory if you can - they are worth the extra $$. Second choice is NAPA.

Your 95 won't have a cam sensor. You should have a crank sensor and a pickup in the distributor.

Those codes don't seem correct. Can you confirm the codes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved

Thanks for the response as I said I tested all sensors. I believe the codes are do to it being a rebuilt PCM its still kinda a mystery. Anyway the main issue was finally narrowed down to being a worn out connector for the ignition coil. Fixed with zip tie to hold connector tighter.

Also no cam sensor? I always thought thats what the pickup in the distributor was for. I've heard it called both and thought both names were fine. I don't get how its not really a sensor I mean its not mechanical ignition. I guess it's off topic but ill have to read more about it I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts