Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the set up of my next vehicle, I would like some input regarding the pros and cons of the option of 18" wheels vs 20" wheels. I expect to do some rough-roading, logging tracks, etc. in the Rockies where I live. But I will also expect a couple of major cross-country trips (3,000 to 5,000 mile loops) primarily on Interstate routes. What is the difference, realistically, in how wheel size affects the usage? Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Shorter tire sidewalls = rougher ride and potentially lower gas mileage, as well as less available flex on those logging roads.
Here's a study done on a road car:
The offroad tire sites tend to use the thumbrule of "wheel diameter should be no more than 50% of the tire diameter"

Bigger wheels tend to be more modern looking, but thats about the only benefit I can see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shorter tire sidewalls = rougher ride and potentially lower gas mileage, as well as less available flex on those logging roads.
Here's a study done on a road car:
The offroad tire sites tend to use the thumbrule of "wheel diameter should be no more than 50% of the tire diameter"

Bigger wheels tend to be more modern looking, but thats about the only benefit I can see.
Thanks for the link to C&D's report. This is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to find. Cheers, LJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts