Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Gc 90,000 miles runs great no issues except 12 mpg .4.0 auto 4x4. tire pressure ok . These are city miles, short trips maybe 5 miles twice a day .Just don't know so I need advice please.Thanks

·
Registered
270 Posts
i've got a 97 zj with a 5.2. i just drive back and forth to work, and i'm only getting 11.5mpg. i would assume the the 4.0 would od better tho.

·
Registered
23 Posts
city driving I get 13.5mpg. I have the 97 zj, 2.25 lift, 265/75/16 tires. I dont have a heavy foot tho. the 4.0 is a big 6. they suck down the gas at take off. dont be a jackrabbit off the line and see if that helps at all.

also, what gears are you running? stock? If stock, its just driving habits. when I accelerate i watch my on board computer register as low as 5mpg under heavy acceleration.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
In town driving getting 12 mpg with a 4.0 leaker isn't that suprising. I have a 5.2 with 4.56 gears and 33's and average about 15.5 to 16.5 mpg. The 4.0 just suck's gas, that's part of the reason Chrysler dumped it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In town driving getting 12 mpg with a 4.0 leaker isn't that suprising. I have a 5.2 with 4.56 gears and 33's and average about 15.5 to 16.5 mpg. The 4.0 just suck's gas, that's part of the reason Chrysler dumped it.
thats pretty unbelievable mileage. i know alot of people with that setup and dont get near that. you must have an oddball engine. youre a lucky one. i would expect 16mpg HWY, but city? are you pulling our legs?

i get 18mpg HWY and that is with K&N filters, no cat, high flow flowmaster and a fresh tune up.

·
Registered
989 Posts
thats pretty unbelievable mileage. i know alot of people with that setup and dont get near that. you must have an oddball engine. youre a lucky one. i would expect 16mpg HWY, but city? are you pulling our legs?

i get 18mpg HWY and that is with K&N filters, no cat, high flow flowmaster and a fresh tune up.
I just took a 300 mile round trip with my 96 5.2 that is stock suspension wise with no muffler, stock cat, Jet Performance stage 1, and a home brew CAI. I averaged 20.2 traveling 70mph for the 300 miles. This is the best to date. It's all in your driving habits.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
I just got 11 mpg in my 93 with 31s and it was all city driving. If you are really worried about mpg, a Grand is not the best vehicle for you (hence why I have a 2 door Civic w/ manual trans for my DD - 36 mpg in the city)

·
Registered
3 Posts
it may be the fact your oly going 5 miles your engine isnt even at operating temp by then. i would guess that combined with stop and go driving. i tried, lol. i get 19.5 hwy 16.5 city with my 4.0 but im always thinking about economy because of that computer, btw i do the math myself the computer is a little off.:D
also, did you check your air filter? thats a killer

·
Registered
64 Posts

I'm not pulling anyone's leg that what I average here in Colorado. Before it had tires, gears, and a lift I used to get 18-20mpg pretty consistently. I get better mileage than a TJ with similar setup and have way more on the road power. It is all about driving style, I have a high flow muffler hooked to the cat with no other exhaust and a snorkel with a K&N filter, and I do regular maintenance to keep it running well. I also don't drive like an *** :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
no thats exactly what i get with a paper air filter and an old muffler, the cat is different maybe hi-flow? ive been babying that thing so its alot in the driving style. the power isnt all that incredible so its easy to stay out of the gas. i got those numbers on a trip from NC to PA and back about 1300 miles in all. the highway is pure highway but the city does have a little highway, maybe 1/16 of the total. anyway, i sure am glad im the luckyone. lol.... wait i do have 50 psi in my tires. dont mind the ride maybe thats helping, and yes they do call for 50. :D but yay for me!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got an avg of 17.2 mpg with my 5.2 stock.

I get around 12mpg now after lift/tires.

If I drive "normal" for me, the MPG drops a ton.

I gotta "play nice" to average 12 city and highway 50/50.

Not sure what ditching the full time TC will gain me (231 coming soon).
I'll swap the TC just to save on tire wear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
last summer we went from tucson AZ to payson AZ (about 170 miles).
I drove my '96 GC 4.0 and my father drove the '87 cherokee laredo, 4.0 w/ Automatic, towing a decent size coleman pop-out trailer. when we got to Payson we filled up, my 96 took 11 gal. and the 87 took only 12 gal.. the last 70 miles or so were very steep grades too..

so that's about 15 mpg i believe

I just couldn't believe the older jeep got the MPG's it did.. if I was towing the trailer with my 96 it probably would have used much more fuel.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts