98 ZJ In-line 6 4.0 gear ratio - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Lifts, Suspension, Axles, and Steering
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Of_martinez
Grand Rookie

Default 98 ZJ In-line 6 4.0 gear ratio

I have a 98 zj and have purchased a rough country 3.5 inch lift. I want to put 32’s on it but many of my friends have told me to change the gear ratio, is this necessary for 32’s-33’s?
Of_martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
Steve l
Grand Rookie

Default Gear Ratio

No need to change gear ratio with 32's or 33's. I have a 01 WJ and I'm running 33's with stock 3.73 gears. Not a problem!!
Steve l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #3
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

will just be a bit slower accelerating and speedo will read slow... you will be going faster than speedo reads
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Rdhamm
Grand Rookie

You will notice some lag in acceleration and some speedo difference but my concern is clearance issues if you are leaving the stock inter fenders and bumper. I have a four inch suspension lift on my 98 ZJ with 31 10.50. Running the stock 7” rims was not a problem but when I upgraded to an 8” aftermarket with more offset then the clearance became an issue. After carefully trimming and replacing the factory track bar with an adjustable rough country bar to center the body back over the axle I have eliminated the clearance issue. Good luck getting those 32/33 tires on under a 3.5 inch lift.
Rdhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement