Grand Willys Project - Page 129 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge--WK
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:06 AM   #1281
Gojeep
Grand Addict

The basic idea I have come up with to correct the awkward factory line along the top of the guard is starting with this. To run some 25mm-1" SHS under the flare part of the guard, (shown on top here), right to the firewall. Also to add a strengthening brace to support it as they are prone to tearing where they meet at the top.

The guards also tear around where it mounts to the firewall, so made a flange from some 3mm-1/8" plate to attach the frame to.

The top of the flare part is straight and flat for the most part until the grille where it slopes down. So curving the top of the frame to follow this.

Also had to make a notch at the same place to clear the top bolt of the grille. Cut what I needed out and then used a rounded cold chisel to bend it into place.

Can see how the top line follows the bonnet and the notch clears the top bolt hole at the grille.

You might remember how I wanted to correct the 25mm-1" wider the guards were at the front compared to the back before it curves down. This is how I am going to remedy it by moving the inner fold line over. Also gets rid on that joggle at the same time.

Flattened out the downward turned flange so I can use some of it where that joggle was.

Tipped the new fold 1" further in, but turned it upwards instead. This helps keep the water out of that seam and it can now be spot welded to the inner guard flange which sat up above the old seam. Makes for easier welding and adds more strength too.

Now the part that went down the side of the grille needs an inch taken out as well. Rather than use one of my french curves, I find a stainless steel ruler works well to get a nice curve.

I wanted to thin the width of this section anyway so works out well. Also easier to tip the outside flange rather than the much wider bolt flange where it attaches to the grille.

Extended the piece right to the bottom of the longer grille at the same time so the new flange is tipped as one.

Can compare one side to the other. Only a small change to narrow the guard to get it parallel to the centreline, plus narrowing and lengthening the side piece, but it all adds up. Has removed a lot of the 9" wider grille to give better proportions. Now to finish the rest of the guard off before moving onto the other side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gojeep; 05-25-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Gojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2019, 04:16 AM   #1282
wildspear
Grand Zebra
Grand Addict

Very awesome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wildspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #1283
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

looks good Marcus
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2019, 06:03 AM   #1284
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Thanks guys. Not much to show this time.

One of the guard mounting nuts was partially stripped. So I drilled it out just big enough so a nut could be tapped into place.

To stop the thread from getting weld splatter onto it, I use a small piece of tubing to protect the thread of the bolt so they can't be welded to each other. Then weld around it, screw the bolt out and then cut the tube and the weld flush. Used copper here but even steel will work as just cutting straight through it after it is done.

I also noticed that the grille wasn't following the angle of the bonnet. It must have moved at some point and I didn't notice until now.

Each side of the grille it was level but the centre showed it was leaning back 8mm-5/16", the same it was off following the edge of the bonnet exactly.

As the top was already fully welded in I wanted to fix the problem another way. So tack welded in some joining links and simply tightened the turnbuckle to shorten the back distance, therefore pushing the centre forward.

A few adjustments for spring back and got it right on.

Can tell winter has started here as have to place the spray cans into hot water so it sprays correctly. Works a treat when the sun is not out to warm the cans up instead.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #1285
wildspear
Grand Zebra
Grand Addict

Never thought of doing that with my spray paint. Will have to remember that.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:26 PM   #1286
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Just showing how the top box section was bent due to welding in the angled brace. Look closely at the gap on the left side under the ruler.

As the weld cannot be stretched back out I simply use more weld opposite it to pull it back straight again. Done this for many years when welding brackets on to axle tubes etc. I ran two welds on top of each other, letting it cool in between, to pull it straight to add up to the welds that went across underneath as well. I keep the heat straightening welds on the edge only as welding across the box will just create a hollow.

So I have 3mm plate against the firewall spaced out with the same sheet metal thickness as the piece that will fill in this area. Then have the brace supporting the top box section so the outer guard does not take the weight.

This is the template I made for the other side and it fits here too, always a good sign.

From the other side this is the finished fill in piece wrapped around the firewall plate as well is the angled brace.

Also stepped in at the top to line up with the rest of the up turned flange of the guard.

Here it is in place before the inner guard goes back on.

Looks much better having the triangular piece inline with the bonnet edge rather than angled 10mm-3/8" in.

Other side

Now have a nice even gap along the top of the guard right to the firewall as well. I have also been adding a few millimetres of weld along the back bonnet edge in places to even that up some more.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:33 AM   #1287
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Video update.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 AM   #1288
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

the modified side panels look great Marcus
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #1289
wildspear
Grand Zebra
Grand Addict

I like the video

Old 06-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #1290
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement