Control Arm Question - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

Default Control Arm Question

Hi all, I have a ZJ running on 2" spring spacers and 245 75 16's. My front control arm bushings are shot. I was thinking about replacing with stockers but have heard jk rear uppers are a common upgrade for those running 3+ inches of lift. Can I run these on only 2" of lift? If it makes a difference I was considering stacking my stock isolators back in for the extra .25-.5". Thanks for the help.
ZJTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

Maybe I jumped to conclusions. I have some looseness in my steering that I have been trying to track down (already changed many of the usual culprits that were obviously bad). I had someone moving the wheel back and worth while I watched under the truck today. I noticed the entire axle moving side to side and suspected the ca bushings as one was a little cracked. Then I realized the track bar should be doing the work of locating the axle side to side (I think). Upon inspection the lower bolt was tight, and both the hole and bolt were in good shape. The upper joint is not tight like a new one but does not appear to have any play. The lower bushing does move front to back inside its mount when tight, but this shouldn't allow side to side travel. Any advice is always appreciated.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
zjrog
Grand Junkie

I battled similar looseness but had bad death wobble. I replaced pretty much everything that was soft. and all the tie rod components. Sounds like you are partway through that process. Eight years ago, I swapped in after market control arms in the front and that stiffened things up considerably. I have since added an adjustable front trackbar. And getting ready to replace all front bushings again... I have also run across the steering sector shaft having play in it... Yes, that meant replacing the steering box... Twice.
zjrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

Talking

Just found a bunch of lateral play in the lower track bar bushing. It was more noticeable when I had the engine off for the test. During my searching I came across YJ owners who were removing their track bars all together. I was thinking they were nuts until a realized our coil springs are in no way attached like leaf springs are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement