Comp Cam decision for my 5.2 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
96ZJ318
Grand Junkie

Default Comp Cam decision for my 5.2

Hey guys,
So I've saved up enough for a cam kit finally, and I have two choices of camshafts from Comp that I like which is better for my needs?

I'm looking for throttle response, low end torque, and MPGs. I rarely rev my engine over 3500 because its my DD. But I'm looking for better highway mileage, a noticable idle sound, and the best down low power possible (1250 rpm-2500 rpm)

I'm thinking comp cams either 20-221-3 or 20-220-3. What are your thoughts? Any other suggestions?
96 5 speed 5.2L 197k Miles, Patriot Headers, NV3500 Tranny, FI Air Gap, Big Gulp TB, K&N CAI, Custom Magnaflow TRUE DUAL Exhaust, Comp Cam 20-602-9, 242 T-Case, E-Fan, 5.9 Louvers & Wheels, 6k HIDs, MSD Digital 6A, Blaster 2, 8.5mm Wires, GREEN L.E.D. Interior
96ZJ318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
RedRocket94
Grand Junkie

Before you get a cam, check out the Hughes Engines website, and read the tech articles on the magnum. It really explains alot of stuff, and they only do Chryslers, so you can feel safe that the advice is sound. Also, remember that your computer (if it's stock) is programmed to operate in the OE powerband, so you might want to get a programmer to adjust timing and fuel curves to match your new cam. I really don't mean to be preachy and long-winded, just would hate to see you spend $$$ and get the wrong cam... But of the two cams you're looking at, the milder one will probably be more forgiving with the powerband, fuel system, computer, etc...
Old 02-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
96ZJ318
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket94 View Post
Before you get a cam, check out the Hughes Engines website, and read the tech articles on the magnum. It really explains alot of stuff, and they only do Chryslers, so you can feel safe that the advice is sound. Also, remember that your computer (if it's stock) is programmed to operate in the OE powerband, so you might want to get a programmer to adjust timing and fuel curves to match your new cam. I really don't mean to be preachy and long-winded, just would hate to see you spend $$$ and get the wrong cam... But of the two cams you're looking at, the milder one will probably be more forgiving with the powerband, fuel system, computer, etc...
I've looked for power programmers. They don't have anything for 1996. I know mines OBD2, but I called and gave them the computer part # and they said they only support 97-98 5.2/5.9 zjs (sct/superchips) What brand can I get for my 96? I don't want any chips (please don't mention JET)

My computer is stock but with use of a power programmer can I use the 20-221-3?
I have an MSD 6A Ignition, with MSD super conductor wires, Blaster 2 coil, E3 Plugs, E-Cutout, but stock headers, stock heads, and stock valve train.

I want a go with one with a nice noticeable idle, and low end torque. Mileage I can deal with because I want sound and low power more than I care for MPGs. I can borrow my parents Prius if I care about it anymore. This is a Jeep it's meant for fun not mileage.
96 5 speed 5.2L 197k Miles, Patriot Headers, NV3500 Tranny, FI Air Gap, Big Gulp TB, K&N CAI, Custom Magnaflow TRUE DUAL Exhaust, Comp Cam 20-602-9, 242 T-Case, E-Fan, 5.9 Louvers & Wheels, 6k HIDs, MSD Digital 6A, Blaster 2, 8.5mm Wires, GREEN L.E.D. Interior

Last edited by 96ZJ318; 02-13-2012 at 04:06 PM.
96ZJ318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
don4life
Grand Junkie

i was thinking of just doing 1.7 roller rockers, should see close to performance gains as a cam without pissin off the comp.
don4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
318, 5.2, cams, camshaft, comp