Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

What year is the best and what to watch for?

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  dlundblad 
#1 ·
I'm currently a paying member of NAXJA. I own 2 XJ's and the future wife wants a Grand Cherokee as a DD. I'm partial to the 4.0L engine as I know of it's reliability. It would need to be an auto with ABS and selectable 4WD. What would be the best year and engine, trans combination? I appreciatte the replies and no it won't be lifted. Only offroad when she's not with me when i drive :mrgreen:

#29 ·
I have a 2001 gc with the 4.7v8 and 5 speed auto. When I bought this I test drove a few but found the ride, and performance of the v8 better than the I6. The 4.7 will actually get a bit better mileage than the 4.0 on the highway, maybe just a tad over 20mpg all highway driving and probably less than 15 mpg city, still pretty fuel hungry. All those things that might happen to a 2001 gc, like broken exhaust manifold, problems with D44HP bearings, front brake rotors,did happen on mine but were all covered 100% on extended warranty. Just a couple of cautions: never jack up your Jeep under the rear pumpkin. Make sure you use the correct fluids in transfer case, diffs, power steering and transmission as even the dealership screws this up a lot of the time.

#32 ·
Yea, I like the 4.0. A guy at a body shop said the newer the better. Think about it. If you buy a Jeep in a state known for snow (Indiana), you would want a newer Jeep. It was through less winters. We saw a 1995 ZJ w/ 60000 miles on it. I was from Indiana so it saw the salt. They wanted 7000 for it. A newer one with high miles should be less rust prone and about that price if not 1500-2000 cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.