Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Custom Rear Cargo Storage

79K views 41 replies 31 participants last post by  Melvin 
#1 ·
Too many repeatitive threads. Post your pictures here. This is what I found.
wino_ii said:
First off, I have to give credit where credit is due...I got this idea from a project Stan did to his ZJ. So thanks Stan for the great idea (Can find Stan's original Shelf project here: http://www.jeepsite.net/jeep_story10.html )! I took my time and did this right and I am so happy with the results. Mine is a bit different tho...but same basic idea.

The rear compartment of the WJ and ZJ are similar but not exact. The cargo hooks in the back are thicker and stationary in the WJ, whereas with Stan's, you can see he had a hook/latch type that swiveled. Thankfully, the WJ's are positioned perfectly!! The ones near the rear seats are closer together so I placed the back wall of the box just on the other side of them so I could easily access them from the rear. The ones closest to the rear hatch/door are further apart, leaving me to anchor those on the outside of the shelf/box. Using 3/4" plywood work perfect and its super strong. The dimensions of the perfect for the WJ are 40"Lx33"Wx14"H IF you want to continue to use the sunshade, as I did. Pics below.

I also painted the entire shelf with some black (w/graphite) spray paint to give it a metallic look. I then lined the top shelf with some carpeting from autozone.

Thankfully, when I swung by Home Depot yesterday to get all the items for the build there was an almost complete 4x8' 3/4" plywood sheet cut and sitting in the "Scrap" pile of wood. $ BONUS!! I tried to get everything on my first trip to HD, but realized quickly that I had to make not one, but three more trips. The little hardware pieces and accessories AND ideas...kept me going back for more. Anyway...I'll shut up....here it is...

Here is the test stage where I'm doing some final tweaking. I dont have uber carpentry tools (No table saw) so I did the best I could. :)

After some paint now. With some of the hardware installed...The eye bolts on the side here are for the tension hooks that will connect to the floor.

More hardware installed now...I also added some handles to make it easier to lift the thing in and out of the truck. Gotta have a fire extinguisher and flash light.

Gotta tag it...

Now it locked into place. This thing does not budge at all!!

And now no one can see what I got in there. :D Sunshade pulled over.

This will give you a better idea of what I'm going to be using it for.
XLSLC said:
4X4Terror said:
After seeing this thread I went out and built me one from the scrape lumber pile in my garage. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out plus it protects my CD changer from all the stuff I cram in the back

toobrie said:
SOLITUDE said:

#2 ·
I found I needed something to put stuff under while allowing room on top for my dog's kennel during bird season. I went with a basic platform that has worked better than I expected.

I used 3/4" marine grade plywood and built it so that the top just covers the wheel wells but gives good support. I added 1 X 3 oak across the back to give it some extra support and to help secure the kennel.

One of these years I'll get around to covering it with auto carpeting or I just might end up painting it black and calling it a day.......

#6 ·
i dont know total time it was a long time of playing with different ideas... the cargo box was maybe a day or 2, I did the sub in 2 days, the overhead amp rack is my second version so probably a day or two on that one.

as for the monitor in the overhead console goes i too a flipdown apart and took just the monitor. then i cut the overhead console into about 4 pieces and puzzeled it back together... we did that in about a day.

in hind sight i wish i would have gotten a little bit nicer monitor for that because the one i got was a little heavy and over the years, bumps, and wheelin it has started to sag a bit.

thanks and if you are in the SJ area id be glad to help ya out... anytime let me know.

#18 ·
rear cargo customization

ok so its not nearly as cool as some of the cargo ideas on here for storage ect. but i decided to put a laminate wood floor in my zj ( i took out the carpet ) i would have taken this picture from the other direction but i broke the handle pull today when i went to take this picture. oh well it happens. it is a 96 zj 5.2 magnum and i am going a differant direction with my zj than most.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
New member!

Some good ideas here. I have a bone stock 99 WJ laredo that I will be doing some work on this summer, particularly on the interior. My plans are as follows: Replacing all the carpet with herculiner, re-upholstering the seats, dash, and interior panels. While I'm in there I also want to put new speakers in, as well as two 10" shallow mounting subs in sealed enclosures. My goal is to make the interior look better than a brand new WK2 while being very durable as well. (Waterproof, mostly) The subs are my first problem here. I don't want these things to eat up all of my cargo area. Custom fabrication isn't a problem for me, but before I jump into this project I wanted to see if anyone had done this sort of thing before. Or if anyone has ideas or pointers that would be great too.:)

#32 ·
Interior Changes

Earlier this week, I was paging through this tread and got inspirited to go and do something myself. Not fond of a compressor lying at the back, neither a an air jack and I do not drive with my tow hook on, but like to keep it with the vehicle, should a need for it arise. Since I do not have a bumper that can carry an additional spare wheel, I need to be able to access the one in the back of the Jeep.
I then decide to built to boxes, one at each side for storing these items safely.
This is the end result...please comment, all comments will be treated as fair and will not be taken personally...thanks

Attachments

#34 ·
Earlier this week, I was paging through this tread and got inspirited to go and do something myself. Not fond of a compressor lying at the back, neither a an air jack and I do not drive with my tow hook on, but like to keep it with the vehicle, should a need for it arise. Since I do not have a bumper that can carry an additional spare wheel, I need to be able to access the one in the back of the Jeep.
I then decide to built to boxes, one at each side for storing these items safely.
This is the end result...please comment, all comments will be treated as fair and will not be taken personally...thanks
For the win! This design is awesome! Mind if I copy it somewhat?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.