Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Rear Lamp Failure?

41K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  Jeepfleet 
#1 ·
My little data center (I guess that is what you call it) keeps giving me a "Rear Lamp Failure" notice, but I know for a fact that all of my taillights are working and that I don't have any out. I have thoroughly checked them and replaced any and all blown bulbs. Is their a way to find out exactly why it is going off? Is there a way to reset it or turn it off? It is just getting really annoying.

#29 ·
rear lamp failure

Mine did the same thing for a while and after changing every bulb on the truck (had some marker lights out in front). but I checked it after every bulb. Mine only gave me the message when the headlights were on. It ended up being the little bulbs in the rear tail lights that are close to the rear quarters not the 3rd tail light or the main brake bulbs. HTH.

Drew

#30 ·
I am having the same problem, I just installed a good vic center in my jeep, because when i bought the jeep it was bad, anyways, the rear failure is coming on, It only comes on when I press the brake after starting, So I went back there and found, the 2 high stops out, the rear pass side marker, and the lic bulb out, so i replaced all of those and thought i was going to be good to go, well i started it up, pressed the brake and it was back, lol, But i am wondering if using the 194 instead of the 168 bulb in the lis plate light might be my problem, thats all I had, let me know

#33 ·
Mine did this, shortly after one of the tiny bulbs in the third brake light, top center, failed and I replaced it with a bulb that looked just like the blown bulb. Later after putting up with the info center warning for a while I had auto zone look up the bulb that goes there and bought it. It was twice the price as the one I had put in it that looked the same. Problem solved. The computer is selftesting the resistance of the wiring and bulbs. The non oem bulb lights fine but the resistance is different. Same will hold true for any bulb on the back on the rear of the jeep.

#34 ·
well idk if any1 else has had this problem but i have seen quite a few WJ's around town have this same problem, passenger side tail light works fine during day with lights off turn lights on everything seems in order hit the brakes passenger side tail light goes out, any input on how i could fix this would be appreciated, might just be the tail light itself not sure, have replaced the bulb installed in the correct position and everything checked connections nothing seems shorted out or anything

#39 ·
I replaced one of the third brake light bulbs once on mine and it did not turn the vic off. I noticed the bulb number on the one I put in was different though the bulb looked the same. I bought another bulb with the same number as the original. Problem solved. The computer is checking resistance over the bulbs. Has to be the same resistance as the original. Just beacuase it lights don't mean it's the same resistance. I am guessing the other bulbs will act the same way, parking lights and so on.

#41 ·
I had that same problem, It stayed for about six months, untill one day my husband was driving my Jeep, ( 1996 Grand Cherokee 5.2L) and I was driving behind him when I noticed only half of the red light at the top of the back door was working. Changed the bulbs and the problem was gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.