Just got a 5.9, increasing tow capacity? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
geberhard
Grand Rookie

Default Just got a 5.9, increasing tow capacity?

Happy owner of a 5.9 Limited since two hours ago Teh gRand is in excellent shape,a nd has not been abused, and comes with a great list of extra toys a lot uninstalled. Pretty nice setup, RE long arms, etc etc

I am hoping I cna do some towing with the Grand (Bring my one ton Jeep on a trailer behind it), but belkieve the 5.9 has alower towing capacity compared to the 5.2's due to the lack of a better tranny colant setup (tight space on the 5.9).

So what can be done to improve that, what kind of tranny cooler setup are you guys running, and what ind of capacity you think I may be able to boost on the Grand?

Additional to do's will include a brake regulator and possibly airbags or coil bags for the rear. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gui
geberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
BigClay
Administrator
Grand Master

In all honesty, if you want my opinion, if you are towing more than a small 12x12 lawn trailer or a small boat, get a proper tow vehicle. A coil sprung, unibodyZ J is not the ideal suspension for towing. Plus a long armed ZJ is going to squat like crazy when you hook a trailer to it. I know there will be a lot of people disagree with me, and don't get me wrong, the engine can handle it, just not the rest of the vehicle... safely that is.
waggy 44 front with chromo shafts and an Aussie; ford 8.8 rear with Dutchman shafts and a Detroit; 35" PBRs; Clayton long arms with 6" BDS springs; 4.88 gears; exo cage
Build thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BigClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Technohead
Grand Master

I agree with Clay. For occassional short hauls I'd do it. For regular towing duty, no way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #4
geberhard
Grand Rookie

Thanks guys. Yep that is teh dilema I have right now. Too may rigs, and the premise on the 5.9 was to be able to have a better daily driver and tow in more comfort than the dually I have right now (sucks on the road when empty - like driving a go cart .

My wheeling Jeep is a fat girl, so am really divided on how towing will go. In an ideal worlds woudl be great to use the Gran for general driving duties plus towing. I still can not bite the bullet and get a Grand CRD (they are freaking hard to find in CA), or way too overpriced.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
geberhard
Grand Rookie

BTW this is the grand:

This is the fat girl:

Old 10-04-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
tcar
Grand Addict

The D44a rear axle is also a weak point if you're going to tow regularly.

It's not that tough even without a towing load - bearings.
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
BigClay
Administrator
Grand Master

Nice rigs!!
waggy 44 front with chromo shafts and an Aussie; ford 8.8 rear with Dutchman shafts and a Detroit; 35" PBRs; Clayton long arms with 6" BDS springs; 4.88 gears; exo cage
Build thread -
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #8
MOJeepr
Grand Junkie

I think you missed what they are saying. It's the short wheelbase, unibody, and coil springs that make it not appropriate for towing a 4000lb TJ and trailer routinely. So, a Grand CRD wouldn't solve that problem either.

I used to tow my TJ with a Tahoe, which is bigger than a Grand, and I still didn't like the handling (coil springs) and braking, so I got a Dodge Cummins for a tow vehicle. Yeah, maybe overkill, but some form of a pickup is a better choice for a tow vehicle.
MOJeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #9
Technohead
Grand Master

Wow, how wide is that CJ? Looks like it would not even fit on a trailer with those tires. Nice trail rig though!!!

Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
BigClay
Administrator
Grand Master

I have been using my Tahoe as a tow vehicle as well (up until last week when I bought a 2500 Dodge), and the Tahoe did OK, just not meant to tow hard and long.
Build thread -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement