Death wobble write up - Page 8 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Write Ups/How-To
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #71
gtir007
Grand Rookie

i am a new member, very thankful to this forum on solving this problem, i replaced the upper and lower control arms, that didn't solve the problem, truck did it worse- the dw didn't stop until i replaced the track bar- i guess the control arms work with the track bar, after that i got a alignment- truck drives perfect- the bushings in my lower control arm were worn, i replaced the parts with stock ac delco parts from rock auto
gtir007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #72
gtir007
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket94 View Post
My .02, for what its worth... After being a counterman at the parts store for a few years, I've been able to gauge the most common cause of DW (in MY experience). That is: LCA bushings or caster mis-alignment. By far; though as others have said, the causes are many. But I have helped dozens of customers fix their DW by giving them LCA bushings (sometimes uppers, but usually the lowers at the caster eccentrics) and sending them for an alignment. And, I've had a few do BB's and have the same problem. But not one of them got longer LCAs or trackbar with the BB, and NONE of them went for an alignment after the install!!! 99.9% of the time, a good alignment solved their problem. Seems like everyone is happy to shell out $$$ for shiny new parts, but no-one wants to pay for a "boring" alignment...
this is the advice i actually went with - thanks
gtir007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:42 PM   #73
kinny313
Grand Rookie

I got death wobble after taking my WJ to get the alignment done. They said that my alignment was good (no adjustments needed) but that they had straightened my steering wheel for me. I got DW the week after taking it to them and in a month I had DW 3 times. If there is any question in your mind if you have DW then it's not DW. DW feels like both front tires blew out at the same time and it's instant. I could barely hold on to the steering wheel. My wife was laughing so hard because she said I looked like I **** my pants on a roller coaster...which is pretty accurate. Every time it happened was from hitting a bump in the road while doing 25-35 mph. I took it back to the shop and they said it was from having warped rotors. I did have warped rotors but I had those before they adjusted my steering wheel. So I replaced my rotors, stabilizer shock, tires balanced (had thrown a bunch of weights off-roading), and my track bar which had some slop in the bushings. DW hasn't been back since. I can't tell you what fixed it but the stabilizer shock was the first repair. I know it's a band-aid but I wanted to at least stop DW so I had time to fix everything else. Rusty's Off Road has a good video on YT about DW. I called them up and they had a lot of good info. I definitely appreciated their time and will be using their stuff as soon as I can afford it.

Last edited by kinny313; 05-27-2018 at 06:53 PM.
kinny313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #74
Jeep Boy
Grand Addict

I again fought with death wobble a while back even after it had gone away for a bit. Purchase an IRO Track Bar with their flex joints (which are great products BTW). Fixed most of the DW but it took me a year to track it down the final cause because it wouldn't occur often. The final cause was wallowed out track bar bolt holes. Kevin's Off Road has a kit to fix this and replaces the standard bolts with 1/2" grade 8s.
With the IRO Track Bar and joints and the bolt hole fix its been 3 years without any sign of DW.
--Airaid Jr. Intake, Trans-Go Shift Kit, 3" Glasspack Exhaust, KC Aux Driving Lights, 247 to 242HD Swap, 4" IRO Long Arms, 255/70R17 Toyo OC AT II's, Rubicon Wheels, Fuel Rail Modification, Solid Lash Adjusters, HO Cam Swap, JCR Stage 3 Sliders, Hood Louvers, HIR High/Low Beam Bulbs, D30 True-Trac
Jeep Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #75
CopperCrawler
Grand Rookie

Now, I apologize I did not read through all of this, but if you get DW after a lift install or an alignment, then have the alignment checked. Most lift instructions say to have the alignment set with maximum toe-in and minimum caster, but the alignment shops (unless they specialize in Jeeps) don't know this and have to be told.

We installed a 2" BB on a customers 96 ZJ, then had it aligned (we don't have an alignment rack). The alignment shop called us and said it had horrible DW. I asked him to recheck the alignment and set it to max toe-in and min caster. The DW was completely cured.

I also installed about 7" of lift on my 98 5.9 ZJ. It too had DW. Took it back to the alignment shop and asked them to set max toe-in and min caster. He told me the caster was already at min, and the toe-in was 1/16" from max. He adjusted it to max, and my DW was cured.

I also have a TJ that I have experienced DW in for other reasons than alignment and everytime, upon checking it out, it was blatantly obvious where the cause was coming from
CopperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:08 AM   #76
alihadi
Grand Rookie

I had the tires balanced twice, the last time by someone trustworthy while I watched; the tire jockies at Sears suck, won't do that again no matter what kind of discount I can get.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
✓ Schedule ✓ Live Cricket Score ✓ Ball-by-Ball Commentary ✓ Results only on criciDAD
alihadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement