Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

The Abominable WJ – Project Yeti

152K views 509 replies 67 participants last post by  argentums 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got around to posting some pics of the WJ. Here it is all cleaned up, begging to get muddy.

It is the snow monster, so I call it the Abominable SnowJeep, or Yeti
Yeti is a name for the abominable snowmonster (Nepal/Tibet).

I learned real quick how much I like the MTRs after towing the boat through a 100 yard section of really deep mud. The boat was a mess. After getting a few feet in, I thought I had made a huge mistake.

Time to take a bath and get cleaned up. This is much better than waiting for hours at the boat ramp to put it in and out.

Bear Lake

First time out wheeling it.

I don't dare flex too much, This thing needs some serious trimming before I can discover Moab. 315x75x16's are pretty big tires for the jeep. In front of the rear tire will be OK, but something needs to be done about the rear bumper.

Motivation for visiting friends to lift their Grandy. He is currenlty raising his Gas tank and building a rear bumper. He may end up making many of the parts to do his own long arm kit. You can see the beginnings of the rocksliders he is making. They have been used extensively since he has been running in Moab without a lift.

Not to bad of a cruiser though. I really like the feel of the Long Arm kits. Much smoother than I had anticipated.

See less See more
#4 ·
jeeperanthony said:
[smilie=freaked.gif] [smilie=freaked.gif] [smilie=freaked.gif] is that salt water?!?!
Nope. Bear Lake is a freshwater lake. I always check the fluids afterwards. No problems yet. We have used the ZJ to launch for years and it is smaller than this one. The passenger side door seal does need some work though.

#7 ·
Nice pics.

Hunter

#8 ·
I haven't posted anything about what I have done in a while, so I better put in a few updates...

I removed the weak roof rack it had, replaced it with a Surco. I also rebuilt the RK joints, it rides great now. I also replaced the tie rods on the drag link, replaced the plugs (I think they were facory :oops:) I added a set of vent visors. Added rubber mats to keep the carpets clean. Fixed the melted wiring to the blower motor. Poslished the headlights...

Difference from drivers to pass side:

#9 ·
What a better way to start the new year than to do some light snow wheeling:

Then I broke through the ice and had to back out...The passenger side front tire was completely submerged. I am glad I was able to just back out.

I did discover that I have a problem though. When I have a tire slipping, I hear a racheting sound. I believe my limited slip rear is toast...[

#11 ·
great lookin jeep. love the looks of it.

#12 ·
i love the mtrs too

mine haven't failed me yet, i'm yet to get stuck...besides 12/31 when i high centered ont he front diff, but not my tires fault beside they were too small

#13 ·
Yeah the MTR's are great. I like them. They are seeing their age, and are now pretty loud though.

Tyler, the joints are cake to rebuild. After I did it, the difference was amazing. Everything felt so tight.

#15 ·
We have to get out this spring. I want to hit little Moab. I have never been there, and don't know where it is at. Have you been to little Sahara? I have a buddy and a brother that want to head that way in late Feb or early March.

I need to fix my rear end though...It sounded pretty ugly yesterday. My bro said that it is the rear limited slip is going out. I have never experienced that, so I didn't know what the sound was...I am going to have to look into prices.

#16 ·
Yeah, I think of all places near-by (Sandy/Draper that is), Little Moab has some of the best wheelin....some real tough stuff, and some pretty easy stuff. All in a square 1/4 mile ha. I've been to Little Sahara a few times on my bike and with Justin's old banshee...never took the ZJ out there though. I want to sometime for sure, I think it would be way fun!

#17 ·
what did you use on your headlights?.....i got some stuff from 3M two bottles one is to get rid of the scrathes and that yellow discoloring.....and the other is to get rid of any fine scratches....my headlight were pretty bad but just using the stuff like once a week when i washed my jeep over time it cleans them up a bit more and more every time...they look pretty good....still want new ones though...

#18 ·
It was some blue stuff from autozone. I can look at the bottle later tonight. I did I by hand for the first little bit, then finished it off by using a powerball and the blue junk.

#19 ·
1995zj said:
Yeah, I think of all places near-by (Sandy/Draper that is), Little Moab has some of the best wheelin....some real tough stuff, and some pretty easy stuff. All in a square 1/4 mile ha. I've been to Little Sahara a few times on my bike and with Justin's old banshee...never took the ZJ out there though. I want to sometime for sure, I think it would be way fun!
I will let you know when I hear about dates for Little Sahara. We usually hit it with the four wheelers, but I have heard great things about running trucks and Jeeps out there when the weather is still cool.

#20 ·
buttnakedjeepin said:
what did you use on your headlights?.....i got some stuff from 3M two bottles one is to get rid of the scrathes and that yellow discoloring.....and the other is to get rid of any fine scratches....my headlight were pretty bad but just using the stuff like once a week when i washed my jeep over time it cleans them up a bit more and more every time...they look pretty good....still want new ones though...
Here is a pic:

Blue Magic Headlight Lens Restorer.

If your lights are really bad, they may need to be wet sanded with 1500 or 200 grit first.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I have that 3M plastic cleaner, but never thought to use it on my headlights. I have always used it in the past to clean up the plastics on my four wheeler. It is good stuff.

#24 ·
After changing the oil today, I started playing around. I tested the ball joints, and it looks like I need to replace them on both sides. I also decided to test fit my spare as I haven't ever run it.

Last summer, I had to get a spare before a long trip. So I bought an incubus rim because I needed one fast. It was the only thing I could find in Utah...5 on 5 with the right backspacing. I needed a tire too, and found one locally for $25. It was a brand new ProComp AT. I couldn't beat the price, and needed everything that weekend so I bought the tire and wheel.

So here are pics of the test fit with the new Incubus wheel on front. After putting it on, I am now thinking of getting three more and putting some BFG AT's on them. I would put the white letter out. Here is it, what do you think of the look?

#25 ·
idk, i'm not a fan of the 2 colored rims. i think just plain black ones would look great

#26 ·
I think they look decent. Similar to the wheels that my friend has on his Chevy, except his have black spokes, and only the edge is chrome...

I think they'd make some nice street wheels. then you'll still have the chromies to put some mudders or boggers or something for when you go out to play.

Later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.