Gilbert OHV Expansion - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Slam Events > Grand Slam North
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
country_boy454
Grand Addict

Send a message via MSN to country_boy454
Default Gilbert OHV Expansion

If this is in the wrong area sorry, just figured it would go best here.

Back to topic, the Gilbert OHVRA is getting an expansion of 2500 acres! This will triple the size of the park. Construction will begin sometime this year.

Read more about it here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
country_boy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
geesaw
Grand Master

Sweet, that's the kind of news I like to hear. Is that NE of the town itself? I google mapped it, then switched over to satellite view, there are some massive mining scrapes there!

I might have to make a U.P., N Wis and N Mn trip someday.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
country_boy454
Grand Addict

From what I gathered that is where it will be. Yes there are "massive mining scrapes". Some that are filled with 4-500ft of water! What I have gathered is that it will run close to the landfill which will contain some awesome land. It is very beautiful back that way.

I found some maps of the expansion. Here is an Aerial Photo of the Virginia Site, here is a Map of Gilbert and Virginia Sites, here is the Preliminary Site Design Plan.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #4
geesaw
Grand Master

I just hit Google maps again to check out the topo, and they got pop up video, watched a few from the OHV, sweet!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
country_boy454
Grand Addict

Can you post a link? I'd like to see.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
geesaw
Grand Master

I tried to view the page info, but as it's not encrypted, it can't be linked, other than the main page http://maps.google.com/ But...all I did was to go to Google maps, search for Gilbert MN, then on the left it said explore this area, and had a photo. When I put the cursor on the photo, another icon popped up below it for YouTube videos, and one from the OHV area was first.

I'm sure you could accomplished the same by going to You Tube and searching for Gilbert OHV. Good luck man.

How is the area outside of the OHV park as far as trail riding? Is the MN DNR pretty restrictive towards fullsize vehicle users?

Last edited by geesaw; 02-14-2009 at 06:14 PM.
geesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
country_boy454
Grand Addict

As long as you stay off the snowmobile and ski trails its pretty much fair game unless posted otherwise. I trail ride all over and have never been stopped. In fact I do a lot of ruffed grouse hunting on most of the trails around here. There are lots of trails around here as many are old logging roads. There is a place about 15 miles from Gilbert OHV called the "Fire Trails" by locals, that has some beautiful scenery. Parts of the trail go right beside a river and one side trail takes you about 30 ft above the river. Lots of wooded areas around it. The trail consists of mainly loose beach type sand. For the most part a car can drive through here.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
JeepNeed
Grand Junkie

Can't wait to check it out this summer. I might go to Iron Range Off Road's school in May.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
country_boy454
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNeed View Post
Can't wait to check it out this summer. I might go to Iron Range Off Road's school in May.
I have heard it is really fun! They teach you a little of everything. Also they take you on trails you would never expect to make it through! That is what my buddy told me anyways when he took his stock XJ there in the class.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
JeepNeed
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy454 View Post
I have heard it is really fun! They teach you a little of everything. Also they take you on trails you would never expect to make it through! That is what my buddy told me anyways when he took his stock XJ there in the class.
Cool! I hope to sign up for the one in May but I am waiting on my buddy to figure out what dates work for him.
Advertisement