Jeep Grand Cherokee Forum banner

Rear Lamp Failure?

41K views 41 replies 33 participants last post by  Jeepfleet 
#1 ·
My little data center (I guess that is what you call it) keeps giving me a "Rear Lamp Failure" notice, but I know for a fact that all of my taillights are working and that I don't have any out. I have thoroughly checked them and replaced any and all blown bulbs. Is their a way to find out exactly why it is going off? Is there a way to reset it or turn it off? It is just getting really annoying.

#3 ·
do you have a tow package? if so, check your wiring with that. mine gave me problems ended up being the female plug for the trailer. check that out!

#8 ·
I just replaced all 3 bulbs on the 3rd brake light, and I'm still getting the error. Thanks for the links, folks. Looks like I got some work to do....
-K

#11 ·
SOLITUDE said:
HOLY HELL! LOL... that search style works... it also helps when you read the note to the side! Wow... what an eye opener! Thanks Solitude! You just made the search function easier.

Now, on topic, check all of your electrical connectors at your tail lamps. Is there any certain time when it starts to flash that? IE when your lights are on, or off, or does it do it when it rains? Or, does it just do it all the time?

#12 ·
ok, i dont see the answer in this post so here you go.

in the hatch of your zj on the left side behind where the spare tire goes there is a little removable panel about 4"x6" maybe, remove that cover and look inside. inside you will find a little box, that little box is what gives you that stupid rear lamp failure thing on your VIC (vehicle information center). my 5.9L had this same issue for awhile till i replaced that little box in there, then it went away until the little box i got out of the salvage yard died also, now my rear lamp failure is back. not sure what the name of that little box is but when i changed it out it fixed my problem.

#14 ·
Yup, been there LOL..

I've had the rear lamp failure since getting my '94 ZJ replaced every rear bulb, the rear trailer light hook up works fine, even replaced the rear lamp outage module and still having the issue, I will be cleaning and replacing the dielectric grease next....

Basically I now have a spare lamp outage module if anyone is interested ? Used but obviously wasn't the problem, the new one was $65, anyone need one $35 shipped sound good ?

Tony B.

#15 ·
I eventually replaced every one of the rear bulbs and now--no more messages.
Still, I had to listen to that annoying beeping for six months...
-K

#17 ·
Gents, buddy of mine works at a DCX dealer and he said this can also be caused by replacing a burnt bulb with one that has a resistance that doesn't match the system's specs. It still reads it as being 'out'. I don't, however, know what the specs are for them....

Did find this....should help guys track down their issue.

#18 ·
I have seen this problem in several ZJs. Even tho the bulbs in the 3rd brake lite are working, or are new does not mean anything. They have to be the exact same bulb from factory. The 906,912 and 921 bulb all look the same but are different wattages. You must use whatever is supposed to be in there. Offhand I dont know which one is correct. But verify that all the bulbs in the 3rd brake lite are the correct number bulb that it shows in your owners manual. The lamp outage module is reading the total wattage used in the rear lighting circuit so if a bulb blows or you have an incorrect wattage bulb then the module will show a failure. I bet 8 out of 10 times the 3rd brake lite bulbs are the problem.

#23 ·
hey

hey ive had my grand for about 6 months now and for the first 4 months it said that and i could never find a light out but one night my gf pointed out that on my passenger side tail light the side light was out i had never noticed bc to me it didnt look like a tail light was out.

#24 ·
I've had "rear lamp failure" and "service 4wd switch" messages called the dealer and asked them what was up their answer was simple... "your message center's computer is bad, it's normal on those older GC's" a replacement is expensive so it's time to remove that rascally offender.

#27 ·
mine is still going off because i put in the l.e.d. bulbs for brake lights is has to do with the resistance in the bulbs if the module stuffed behind the plastic thats behind the spare tire doesnt recognize the right resistance it will send that message hope that will help in your search

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.