Trans Band Adjustment Problems - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge-ZJ/WJ
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

Default Trans Band Adjustment Problems

Hi all, I have a 97 GC with the 42re. It shifted perfectly when I purchased it a few months ago, but it does have 173k miles. I changed the fluid and figured it could use a band adjustment while I was at it. I saw a video on youtube recommending 3 backout turns after torquing to 72 in/lbs. The trans started shifting funny after about 1,000 miles. I decided to check the spec in the FSM and it states 4 backout turns. I readjusted today and now it barely wants to grab the gear and clunks. What should I try readjusting to next? Is the trans toast? Thanks all!
ZJTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #2
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

I think this is what I needed. It list specs for individual model years. Wouldn't have thought it would change that frequently. I guess thats why there are so many numbers floating around out there.

I cant post the link but you can google "atb1151 atra"
Should be the first result, a pdf doc.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

Well unfortunately it still slips at 2 turns out. I had to go to 1.5. It is not slipping as much but has a harder shift and occasionally waits a few seconds to shift into reverse or drive. I am guessing I toasted the clutches and will need a rebuild. Also, a side note, definitely use a torque wrench to get your 72 in/lbs. My mental meter was off by at least 3/4 turn.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

Heres that link now that I have 5 posts

https://atracom.blob.core.windows.ne...an/atb1151.pdf
Old 05-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

1.5 resulted in the trans locking under no load. I tired 1.75 next and still have slipping and slight lock. Looks like the trans is shot. Warning to all, make sure you get your band adjustment right!
Old 05-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #6
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

your fault may have been the shift solenoid failing
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 AM   #7
ZJTim
Grand Rookie

Briian, thanks for the reply. Is that the same as the governor solenoid? So i probably should have mentioned this earlier. When I put the magnet back in the pan I put it in the wrong spot. When I was tightening the pan down it was pressed into the governor solenoid and broke the magnet. A quick visual inspection showed no damage to anything besides the magnet. Is it possible this broke the solenoid? It appears there is a shroud around the solenoid which is why I thought it likely didn't sustain damage.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #8
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

they have a governor and shift solenoids and both cause shift faults. could not tell you which one is which but also the 42re is oil fussy and will only work with AT4 or its equivalent.
all it can take is slight damage to the wiring to make the solenoid not work correctly, and also their are two adjusters for the bands, the rear under the filter and the front hidden by the front prop and needs a 4 side or 8 point socket to adjust

Last edited by Briian-Emmons; 05-12-2019 at 08:10 AM.
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement