97 Grand Cherokee ZJ - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Jeep Grand Cherokee Marketplace > Grand Cherokee - For Sale
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
TrailMarker
Grand Rookie

Default 97 Grand Cherokee ZJ

Lifted 97 Grand Cherokee Limited. 5.2L V8. Gray w/ gray leather interior. JK Rubicon 17" wheels & 255/75 R17 BFG Mud Terrain tires. The engine and transmission have both been rebuilt and have around 60,000 miles on them. Doug Thorley ceramic coated headers. K&N cold air intake. I replaced the NP 249 quadratrac (full time AWD) with an NP 242 Selectrac. Gas tank and transfer case skid plates. Factory tow package. Rear axle is Dana 44HD with a locker. Front is a high pinion Dana 30. Gears are 4.56. Hanson winch bumper with bull bar and a Badlands 12K winch. Worley aluminum high capacity radiator. KOR radiator mount / tow points. SS front extended brake lines. Rough Country front swaybar quick disconnects. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Core adjustable rear lower control arms. Nice Kenwood stereo with aux jack and USB input. Roof rack basket. Dual Firestik CB antennas. HID headlights and LED fog lights. The negatives: The sunroof doesn't open, the rear hatch window doesn't release electrically, the VIC is blank, and the driver's seat heater doesn't work - so some electrical things don't work. It has a couple of dents and dings. This is a great little Jeep. It does really well off road. It is very comfortable and dependable and it's a lot of fun to drive. It runs great. Ice cold AC. It has great articulation, great tires and goes just about anywhere it'll fit. $5200. We're located in SC. It can easily be driven or delivered most anywhere in the southeast. Not so easily, most anywhere in North America. Thanks for looking. Let me know if you want pics of anything specific.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8807.jpg (194.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7154.JPG (151.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6488.jpg (202.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by TrailMarker; 05-10-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: location
TrailMarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
nosamg
Grand Rookie

Send a message via AIM to nosamg Send a message via Yahoo to nosamg Send a message via Skype™ to nosamg

Hi. I'm interested if you are not too far from Southern CA. Thanks, greg
nosamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
BigKahunaJeep
Grand Rookie

Default Your jeep

Hi

How far are you from San Diego? Can you post more pics?

I'm mostly interested in how big is your lift to fit those tires...and did you?

Did you have to do any trimming to fit as well?

Where did you mount the CB antennas?

What brand lift?

Did you rebuilt the 242 before putting it in?

What year is the 242 from? Did you deal with the gear cut difference? My current 249 swap to 242, I used a 242 from a 93 (old gear cut and internal slip slip yoke), and did a hybrid 249/242 tcase build. The internal slip yoke uses the shorter drive shaft from the 249, so I didn't have to cut and balance or use a different drive shaft.

Question is, how did you handle the drive shaft?

THanks,
Brian
BigKahunaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
BigKahunaJeep
Grand Rookie

Default Really?

Why do people post things, then never answer replies. Useless.
BigKahunaJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
TrailMarker
Grand Rookie

Default Yep. It's a great ride. And I'm reducing the price.

Most people would consider it a very long way from Southern California to South Carolina. But if you're interested enough, we could certainly work something out. I have lots and lots of pics. Mostly action shots, but my laptop recently failed. I had the contents of the hard drive transferred to a usable device, but the filing method is different, so they aren't saved under "Jeep" but rather numerically by date. It'll take time to sort it all out. I can easily walk out there and get pics of anything you want. But since you now know that you're separated by 3000 miles from the Jeep, I doubt it matters any more. But thanks for the interest. I'll see if I can add something to the post, or to my tag line to indicate its location.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #6
TrailMarker
Grand Rookie

Default Sorry for the delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahunaJeep View Post
Hi

How far are you from San Diego? Can you post more pics?
I'm a very long way from San Diego. 3K mi. Please see the other reply for an explanation of pic availability.

I'm mostly interested in how big is your lift to fit those tires...and did you?
4" lift, which had already been installed when I bought the Jeep, Dec of 2015. The seller didn't know the brand. He was no mechanic. He was a preacher. He said a friend had done the work. The suspension is pretty soft, so articulation is freakin' amazing. It is possible to make the front tires scrub if it's crossed up, off camber at near full lock.
Did you have to do any trimming to fit as well?
No sir.
Where did you mount the CB antennas?
Roof rack. (Yes, grounded)
What brand lift?
Don't know.
Did you rebuilt the 242 before putting it in?
No.
What year is the 242 from? Did you deal with the gear cut difference? My current 249 swap to 242, I used a 242 from a 93 (old gear cut and internal slip slip yoke), and did a hybrid 249/242 tcase build. The internal slip yoke uses the shorter drive shaft from the 249, so I didn't have to cut and balance or use a different drive shaft.

Question is, how did you handle the drive shaft?
Not sure of the donor year. It was a 4.0 set up. IIRC, the 242 was slightly shorter overall than the 249, but the spline cut was the same, and the exposed length of the output shafts were the same, or very close. I ordered a used replacement rear drive shaft, and re-used the front. The cool thing about the donor is that it had been junked, so we rolled it up on its side. I just walked up to it and removed the TC. I have pics! But, despite saying that several times, I can't offer any proof right away.

THanks,
Brian
Don't know if any of this helps you or anyone researching how to do a TC swap, lift or other mods, but when I find my pics, I'll be glad to share. Someday.

Last edited by TrailMarker; 05-10-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
TrailMarker
Grand Rookie

Default more pics

more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_1cf9.jpeg (110.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7180.JPG (134.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7181.JPG (105.9 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement