Newbie from Mich. with a question - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member Introductions
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
johnsilv
Grand Rookie

Default Newbie from Mich. with a question

First off new to the fourm and to be honest Jeeps also. I have a 2004 JGCL 6 cyl. and i am getting a high pitched whitsle while at idle or when driving and i take my foot off the gas ???? i cant tel where its coming from any help or ideas? Cool fourm by the way for the past few days ive read and searched,learning alot thanks all for your knowledge
johnsilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Skipperau
Grand Rookie

Welcome to the forums.

Could you give us a bit more information, what does the whistle sound like? A pressurised air sound which might indicate a vacuum leak, or a bearing whine?

Have you tried to locate where it is coming from? If you move your head around the engine bay with the bonnet open you can get a pretty good idea of roughly where it is, with that information we can get a better idea of how to guide you.

If you can grab you phone and post a short video of the engine bay with the engine running that can help.

Doug. (Skipperau)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Skipperau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
johnsilv
Grand Rookie

yes i will do that this weekend and thanks for the reply to me it sounds like a dog whistle and its hard to tell where its coming from
johnsilv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #4
Reinie
Grand Rookie

For a couple of years (yeah, years) my 2000 JGCL WJ 4.0 had a high pitched whine/whistle, but only when cold, when a bit above freezing and lower, just before upshifting, and then it would stop, and then the shift would complete. Once the engine warmed up it didn't happen.

Finally asked my neighbor and he found that it was the idler pulley. (He found it by listening with an engine stethoscope I have, held against a connected but non-moving part. (Center shaft of the pulley which the pulley rotates about.) He could hear sounds from the bearings.)

I got a new pulley and after I had the old one off you can plainly hear the grinding as you rotate the pulley about the center.

For diagnosis, use a metal shaft - stop at the hardware store and get a 1cm (1/2 inch) round bar a foot or two long and put it on the center of the pulley and put your ear against it to hear if that's the problem. Try the other pulleys too.
Reinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement