blower motor stays on w/o key - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member Introductions
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
98grand_hero
Grand Rookie

Question blower motor stays on w/o key

i have done some research on this problem the past few days and a visit to the JY. so my 98 4.0l lerado with manual temp controls is having a problem i noticed about four days ago when i stopped for some pizza and come back and the heater was running still. i played with the knobs and it turned off by turning the motor off by the knob. i couldn't get it to do it again that night. then the next day my girl drove it and had mentioned the heater was staying on with the key out. i checked it out a little showed her what i had figured out with turning it off but also found out i could change the speeds to the blower motor with no key in the ignition. it had drained the battery that night. didn't find that out till the next day. today i figured it was the controls in the dash so some time at the junkyard i pulled one for a 96(not the right one by the way and didn't find out till i had the mine out) i pulled the control unit apart and found a relay inside. so a trip to the parts house i found a relay and replaced it and put things back together and still having the same issue. so i don't wake up to a dead battery i pulled the blow motor fuse. anyone have some incite? dose this sound like the resistor has gone bad?
98grand_hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
birdman15
Grand Junkie

sounds like the wiring harness on the resistor . pull it out cut the plug out and hard wire it.
birdman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
98grand_hero
Grand Rookie

Today I drove it to work. And disconnected the overdrive off button and rear defroster button which I noticed the light the shines on when activated were dimly lit. And by turning off the heater before I turn off the zj. It won't kill the battery I my theory I think I came up with. I'll find out tomorrow morning.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
98grand_hero
Grand Rookie

No more dead battery also the heater started to turn off with the key again. It sounds like a wiring issue to me?
Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
cLAYH
Grand Junkie

Its probably the ignition switch. Next time it happens try jiggling the ignition switch or key it off and on and see if it goes off.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Buster
Grand Rookie

Default Blowe Motor Relay

Been told there is relay in addition to the resistor. Iíve replaced the resistor and blower but the fan still runs w/o the key. According to one website, a relay is located above the blower motor but Iíve checked my 98 and a 97 (both with ATC) and there is no relay to be found.

Iím not allowed to post links but itís on justanswer . com and search for (including typo):
Where is the blower motot relay on a 1998 Jeep Gran CherokeeÖ

I wiggled and jiggled the ignition switch with no change. So now Iím looking at replacing the control unit.
Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement