NOOB Questions - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member Introductions
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
SOLITUDE
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to SOLITUDE Send a message via MSN to SOLITUDE
Default NOOB Questions

I want everyone to contribute to this. If you feel you know the answer to a noob question please post the question with a definitive answer in this thread. A link to a previous thread will suffice. But, PLEASE POST THE QUESTION.

Example of a noob question:
Can I run 31" tires on a BB?

Answer:
Yes, you'll rub at full flex/full turn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLITUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
yourownself
Grand Addict

answer to noob question #2:

BB = budget boost.
yourownself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
SOLITUDE
Grand Master

Lingo:
https://www.nagca.com/grandtech/grandcherokeelingo.htm

What Kind of Transmission do I have?
https://www.nagca.com/grandtech/grandtranslist.htm

My Check Engine light is on. How do I check the codes? What are the troubleshoot codes?
https://www.nagca.com/grandtech/troubleshootcodes.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
yourownself
Grand Addict

yes, you can pound the pinch seam flat to help with tire clearance, but don't grind it off.
yourownself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:33 AM   #5
SOLITUDE
Grand Master

How can I spend my $700 Government Kickback?

On a Front to Rear Swap (F>R):

Clayton Adjustable Trackbar w/ drop bracket (First & Last Trackbar you'll ever buy) - $260
http://www.claytonoffroad.com/index....egory&p=susacc
JKS Upper Shock Loop Conversion - $30
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/jksusc.html
JKS Bar Pin Eliminators - $40
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/jksbpes.html
RE Rear Drop TB Bracket - $70
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=F7E28E5194830
RE Front 3.5" Coil Springs - $175
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=2034D05248251
JKS Quicker Disconnects - $130
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/jksdiscos.html

You'll still need to buy shocks. You CANNOT go any higher on stock control arms. (Technically you can, but, I will HIGHLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM DOING SO.) With this setup you'll be able to build upon it when you decide to go bigger. There's always someone trying to get rid of their old springs and drop brackets, etc. So scour the boards for them if you don't want to pay full retail for a new set.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
RockZJ
Grand Pooh-Bah

Originally posted by Johnny_C. Thanks for the info, this is important to new comers that want some information about their Jeeps

"so it seems to be a common question: what tire will fit what. so i found this fitment chart on JP magazines website and its a good start, I also thought I would throw some personal input in as well, figure others could post what works for them too

heres the chart: this is a a great starting point:

other things I have found for the ZJ

at 3" of lift you can generally run a 32" tire, it may require some minor fender trimming

33x10.5 will work on a ZJ with 3.5" of lift, and 33x12.5 will fit with some trimming and hammering down the inner pinch seam.

i have seen 34" LTBs on a jeep with 3" of lift and worked on mine with 3.5 as well.

at 5.5" of lift on short arms I ran 35s but rubbed a lot. there was a lot of cutting needed. if i kept the sway bar conected 35s worked

anything bigger than 35s (or in most cases to run 35s you will need a long arm kit. there is lots of info on this website pertaining to this and the issues associated with it

for the WJ

from research i've found on assorted websites what i've seen: a 32" tire will fit with a WJ with 3" of lift. some companies call for 4" I am going to see if i can make these fit with my 2" budget lift
a 33 will also fit with 4" (285x75) and some bumper trimming

6" long arm kits you can usually get away with a 35" tire. I am not 100% on this, i'm sure there are people on this site who can chime in

found this too: http://www.4lo.com/calc/gearmetric.htm for those of us who have no friggin clue what a pmetric size tire translates to in inches

hope this helps some newbs"

Again, this is a repost, I do not take credit for any of the content. Hope this helps everyone

RockZJ

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
97 4.0 to 5.2- V8 Swap, Claytons, RE, KOR, TnT Truss, Ballistic Gear, Warn, ARB, KOR Tire Carrier, Waggy 44 Swap F&R, 35" KM2's, 5.9 Goodies, Aussie Locked, 4.88's, Dutchman Shafts, SYE Kit, Woods Shafts, Too Much To List- SOLD

98 5.9- Award Winning Platinum ZJ, ARB Front, 5" RC Lift, DT Headers, Magnaflow 3", MP ECU, RB-1 Navigation System, 33" KM2's, 16" AEV Bridgers, Cobra CB, Hella Black Magics, K&N Intake, Drilled & Slotted Rotors, Spidertrax- SOLD

04 LJ- Build in progress...

|
|
RockZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
Toby42
Grand Master

No. A steering stabilizer will not get rid of DW, but only mask it. The real problem will still remain and does not originate with the SS.

Check all your bushings, bolts, etc.

Depending on your height, your axle may not be centered, causing the DW. And adjustable track bar will solve this.

One time, my DW came back and it took me forever to figure it out - but I finally saw that my lower CA mounts had been almost completely ripped off the axle... eek. Re-welded them and it was all good.

Basically, look around under there and see what you can find...

But it's not the SS.

Last edited by Toby42; 12-06-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Toby42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #8
horatio102
Grand Junkie

Quote:
545RFE 5 spd. automatic transmission used in the 2001 - Current Model Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L engines

45RFE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1999 - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.7L engines.
Everything that I've read says that the 45RFE and the 545RFE are identical transmissions, with the 545RFE getting revised programming to take advantage of the 2nd overdrive. 99 + 00 can get their PCM reflashed to get the 2nd overdrive. In theory anyway. I've found a d44hp/ford9" set of axles that I'm planning on swapping into my WJ, and when I do I'll let you know how the reflash goes.

Also, the "let us know" link on the transmission info page isn't a mailto: link, so it's messed up.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
Dustmuffins
Grand Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Dustmuffins Send a message via MSN to Dustmuffins Send a message via Yahoo to Dustmuffins Send a message via Skype™ to Dustmuffins
Default Best lockers? Best BB? Other ZJ noob questions.

I think it's good to get all these questions stuffed into one thread and have it stickied for noobs like myself.

As for best BB, here's a few good ones:

Rocky Road budget boost w/ and w/o shocks

The Rocky Road one comes with Bar Pin Eliminators if you don't get shocks, so I'd have to say that's the best way to go if you're not getting new shocks.

4 wheel customs 2.25" BBs. Skyjacker or Rubicon Express shocks.

Rusty's Off road 1.75" BB with shocks.
Rusty's Off road 1.75" BB without shocks.

As for good lockers, here's what I have so far:

There's always the Expensive ARB Air lockers.

The popular Aussie "lunchbox" style lockers

Powertrax Lock-Right auto Locker. A Cheap but good "lunchbox" locker.

Last edited by Dustmuffins; 08-24-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Dustmuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
s9khein
Grand Junkie

Noob question

That running water sound in your dash is air in your heater core.
s9khein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement