Front Driveshaft Removal Myths - Page 2 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member Introductions
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #11
VAPILOTDA
Grand Junkie

Send a message via AIM to VAPILOTDA

For what it's worth, my first 5.9 blew out the driveshaft and I drove it around for a month or so without the driveshaft in it. I even took in on 200 plus trips in 2wd. When I put the new driveshaft back in it, it didn't complain a bit. I didn't know there could be an issue with not having it in but there was not a blatant problem with it when I put it back in. Maybe I just got lucky.
Platinum 5.9 ZJ 4.5 RE Coils, Kevins JKS Trac bar conversion up front and JKS Adjustable in the rear. 8 JKS arms. JKS Quicker disconnects. Bilstein 5100 Series at the 4 corners with 265/75/16 BFG MT's,alloy shaft, locked d44a, optima blue top,
VAPILOTDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #12
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

From what has been said, there are differences in the T-cases. I didn't know this, so the newer ones (96 and up) may not have this problem. Someone chime in if you have had this problem with a newer t-case.

Here is why it will roll in park. We need to think of the VC as a differential. If you jack up the rear end of a rear wheel drive car, and it is in PARK, you can still get the tires to rotate. If you rotate the tire on one side, the other will rotate in the opposite direction...even though it is in park. The transmission is locked, the drive line is locked, but the rotation from one tire can be transferred through the differential to the opposite tire. If you take out an axle shaft and cut it in half and reinstall it, you can park on a hill and the car will roll backwards. The cut shaft section that is inside of the differential will spin freely while both tires are rolling backwards.

In the Jeep, think of the VC as a differential. If you cut one side of the axle (take out the drive shaft) and leave the other one connected, the car will still roll in park. The transmission is locked in park. But the rear drive shaft can rotate and allow the car to move because the VC (acting like a differential that applies different speeds and power to the different wheels) doesn't have anything else on the other side of it to stop it from spinning. So nothing in the transmission moves because it is in park. But the front and rear output shafts (which are connected through the VC) can still spin. Again, the VC is acting like a differential and can spin even when everything else in front of it in the transmission is locked down from moving.

Putting a transmission in park doesn't lock your tires, it locks the entire system that sends power to your tires. If parts are missing from the system that will allow independent movement between tires, problems can occur.

I am not an expert on the internal workings of the t-case. I don't know if this is only a problem in the older 93-95 t-cases. But this does happen. I am not sure if running without a front ds will damage the VC. I have seen two different GC's roll with the front drive shaft out while they were in park.
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
grand rapids
Grand Rookie

ive found real world experience is worth twice as much as book knowledge. i guess its kind of hard to dispute someone who has disproved the masses. sounds like i stank corrected, but it makes you think, its bad for a vc to have the wrong size tire on but ok to just run the back. who'd have thought!
grand rapids is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
71455vert
Grand Rookie

I have had my front driveshaft out in my 98 for 3 years I drop the driveshaft in b4 the 1st snowfall & remove it in march & I think it has extended the life of the vc (now have 151k) but am swaping the case out to a 39k case I found from a 5.9
a co worker has a 94 & I heard him pulling in a spot & the tires were chirping & told him he may pop a u jount or his diff & he pulled the shaft & the truck has rolled 2 times in the last mo ( he now uses his e brake)
but at least he can turn
71455vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
KajunJoe
Grand Rookie

I just swapped my 98 249 into my sister's 95 and here's what I found, the early 249 mainshaft has a planetary like a 242 so the front and rear are never really connected. The late 249 has a solid mainshaft from the front planetary all the way to the rear d-shaft and when shifted into low range the VC is no longer part of the equation. I will be pulling the 98 case again this weekend to install a new VC and post pictures of the two side by side. Looking at the internal's it doesn't seem like you should be able to damage the VC in a newer case with the front shaft pulled.
ROCK ON!!
KajunJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #16
Insane4x4ZJ
Grand Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Insane4x4ZJ Send a message via MSN to Insane4x4ZJ

i ran my old grand w/o the front shaft for MONTHS, wicked cool burnouts, and not a problem EVER. just not real torque like it did in awd. lol 4low both shafts u can hop the front end a ways up there if u try hard enuf.
Insane4x4ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
rcjoslin
Grand Addict

Send a message via AIM to rcjoslin Send a message via MSN to rcjoslin Send a message via Yahoo to rcjoslin

yup

Taking Long Arm Donations: Paypal me at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rcjoslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:25 PM   #18
maytrevor
Grand Rookie

Send a message via MSN to maytrevor

alright so I want to know for sure. My vc is basically done for and am going to buy a new one to put in the 249, but I won't have the funds for awhile. If I take the front driveshaft out will I hurt anything? I don't care about hurting the vc because it's done for anyways, but will anything go wrong with my tcase? I have a 97 zj laredo. thanks.
maytrevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #19
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

I believe the 96 up is locked front to rear, so it may not matter. It seems that those who haven't had any problems when removing the driveline had the newer 249... the newer locking 249 t-case. The 95 and older 249 doesn't lock fron to rear. If you remove the front driveline from one, you will roll. This is what I have gathered from the comments that have been made about the internal workings. But I don't have experience with t-cases like others on this site.

Either way, I would use your e-brake. I drove for a while with my VC going bad. Even made two 600 mile round trips. It felt like crap right after getting off of the interstate, but was ok after it cooled down. How bad is it? If it really isn't that bad, just leave the driveline in till you get a new case or a new VC.
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #20
AndyZJ
Grand Master

Send a message via AIM to AndyZJ

I just want to add to this, that i decided to try out removing the front driveshaft on my '93 GC. Well the only thing that i can say definitely is that the acceleration seemed to be off. As if it were trying to compensate for the front driveshaft being removed, it was MORE sluggish on acceleration and didn't seem to want to GO. Reinstalled the driveshaft and it went away.

Also, my GC rolled down a hill while in park and i luckily noticed it happening before it hit anything.

1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo- 3" Kevin's lift and 31" Goodyears on JK Moabs
AndyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement