No Code stalling out..question about previous threads - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Write Ups/How-To
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #1
CherokeeGC
Grand Rookie

Default No Code stalling out..question about previous threads

2000 GC 4.0 4wd stock w/247K on the clock, except 2"coil spring lift.
I seek the council of ye wise ones(or at least experienced ones)
I've read several threads on the stalling issues.
My symptoms are stalling at lower rpms<1500. Sometimes it will start right back up & sometimes I have to let it rest a couple minutes to 10 minutes. Sometimes it will run a minute to five minutes, other times it will run for an hour. Sometimes it won't start after intentionally turning off the engine, but will eventually in one of the time frames specified above(1. 5, 10minutes)
The only consistency is the lower rpm stalling.
I've read it could be the battery, pcm or coil packs.
I will check the battery, so that leaves the pcm or coil packs.
Is there a way to check either of these without or before replacement?
Great Forum, by the way.
CherokeeGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
CherokeeGC
Grand Rookie

Well, it wasn't any of the three things I thought would be the culprit in fixing the engine stall out, though it could have been any one of or a combination of.
It was the crankshaft position sensor. I was under the impression that this sensor, and the camshaft sensor, either worked or didn't work. I now know that both of these sensors can work intermittently sometimes, as they are on their way to permanently going on vacation.
So if you're having similar symptoms, as I described in my original post, after checking your battery start with the crankshaft sensor, then the camshaft sensor, coil pack & finally the PCM.
This is my own sequence, according to cost of new replacement parts beginning with the lowest to highest.
CherokeeGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement