Benchracing idea, Lowered RWD ZJ or WJ - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Hardcore Tech and Advanced Fabrication
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
zjrog
Grand Junkie

Default Benchracing idea, Lowered RWD ZJ or WJ

I keep having this recurring thought of a canyon carver Grand Cherokee. While it was originally inspired by the Petty Cash XJ Lemons team, I have no desire to race. I drive a mountain pass daily for work, and have frequently wondered abut a lowered RWD ZJ or WJ. The beam axle for the RWD cars would be a logical choice, I want to go lower. I want to use the stock rear axle suspension, but raise it in the body to get a lower center of gravity. I would need to farm out the body work to raise the wheel wells and arches... I want wheels and tires just inside the body, but I don't want them to look tucked in either...

That leaves the front. I considered some fabricated front end with a hodge podge of parts. But I had an epiphany recently and am wondering if the front subframe of a second generation Camaro would be a feasible method to drop the front and still create a state of the art front suspension. So now I wonder how close the subframe of a Camaro would fit the body of either ZJ or WJ floors. Obviously some fab is required, but should be easier than fabbing from scratch and use off the shelf parts for the suspension.

Just thinking out loud. I realize most ppeople lift their Grands, like I have my own ZJ... I'm just looking at this as a hotrod station wagon.

THoughts or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #2
jayheats
Grand Rookie

Default Lowered ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
I keep having this recurring thought of a canyon carver Grand Cherokee. While it was originally inspired by the Petty Cash XJ Lemons team, I have no desire to race. I drive a mountain pass daily for work, and have frequently wondered abut a lowered RWD ZJ or WJ. The beam axle for the RWD cars would be a logical choice, I want to go lower. I want to use the stock rear axle suspension, but raise it in the body to get a lower center of gravity. I would need to farm out the body work to raise the wheel wells and arches... I want wheels and tires just inside the body, but I don't want them to look tucked in either...

That leaves the front. I considered some fabricated front end with a hodge podge of parts. But I had an epiphany recently and am wondering if the front subframe of a second generation Camaro would be a feasible method to drop the front and still create a state of the art front suspension. So now I wonder how close the subframe of a Camaro would fit the body of either ZJ or WJ floors. Obviously some fab is required, but should be easier than fabbing from scratch and use off the shelf parts for the suspension.

Just thinking out loud. I realize most ppeople lift their Grands, like I have my own ZJ... I'm just looking at this as a hotrod station wagon.

THoughts or ideas?
I'm going to be removing a Hotchkis ZJ Lowereing Kit from my 96 GC 5.2. It includes Hotchkiss control arms and coils. I'll start another post regarding the details, but wanted to let you know since you are a hour away from me (Morgan, UT).
jayheats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
zjrog
Grand Junkie

How low does it let a ZJ sit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement