Backup Camera issue? - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge--WK
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
bjlasota
Grand Rookie

Default Backup Camera issue?

I noticed throughout this winter that my camera was appearing foggy and that I couldn't see out the back. I gave up on cleaning it because I figured it was just road salt. Last night, I gave it a good wipe down with water and a microfiber towel and it is still foggy. I looked at the camera this morning and I can't tell if it's just the lens, or if there really is water in the lens. I would assume the camera would stop working if it's had water in it all winter, especially since I use my liftgate quite a lot for hockey. Any thoughts on this? Has any done a DIY fix on this to either repair or troubleshoot it? I'd rather not have to take this into the shop.

My Software version for uconnect is 17.11.17.

This is on a 2014 JGC Limited and it's the factory camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180220_081325.jpg (195.3 KB, 3 views)
bjlasota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
sjmaerz
Grand Rookie

Did you ever resolve this issue? I have the same problem with my 2014 GC Limited. Picture was perfect for the last two years, and overnight it became blurry. I don't see any evidence of moisture in the lens. I have read some posts that blame software updates and recommend resetting the UConnect system.
sjmaerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
bjlasota
Grand Rookie

No i haven't. I started looking at it recently again and also saw the resets. I ran through the soft reset, hard reset, then the dealer reset and still nothing fixed it. I also don't notice any moisture in the lens either. I'll post here if I ever make it to the dealer to get the actual issue, although I'm sure I'll hear I need a new camera.

I was hoping someone online would have done a DIY on changing it, but I haven't had much luck finding that either.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
sjmaerz
Grand Rookie

Thanks for the update. I will do the same. I am convinced it is not a moisture issue, but I assume any dealer will tell me a new camera is the solution. No idea of what that cost might be.
sjmaerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #5
bjlasota
Grand Rookie

I've heard most people get it under warranty, however, I'm the 2nd owner and doubt it's covered under my purchase, which was over a year ago. I've also heard upwards of $300 to replace it at a dealer. I've seen the exact replacement(comes with all components) for around $150 on Amazon. I'd like to just find only the camera itself and just change that. I've heard it's like taking apart the back half of your jeep just to get to it though. I'll stick with the oldschool way of backing up for now. I also know there's an installation manual that comes with the mopar aftermarket kit. I'd like to find that and it should be a good resource for replacing it yourself. $300 is a bit steep for a bonus. Like you said tho, the dealership will default to replacing the camera I'd assume. Or charge you an hour to investigate.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
bjlasota
Grand Rookie

Did you ever get yours resolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmaerz View Post
Thanks for the update. I will do the same. I am convinced it is not a moisture issue, but I assume any dealer will tell me a new camera is the solution. No idea of what that cost might be.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
dorkygrin
Grand Rookie

Default Any Fix?

I'm having the same issue with a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Blurry backup camera. Tried a factory reset in the settings menu, it didn't fix it at all.

The camera does not look like there is any water or foggyness in it.

Ideas?

Thanks

DG
dorkygrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
wilker88
Grand Rookie

Default Blurry Backup Camera

My wife's Cherokee back-up camera went very blurry, starting out with just the edges and kept getting worse. After cleaning and verifying no external problems, I was thinking I had internal moisture contamination??? I removed the camera, which was a pain in the xxx, and removed the back plate of the camera which had a good rubber O-ring seal. Upon closer inspection, I determined the source of the water contamination was where the plastic wire connector enters the back plate of the camera, which had no seal/O-ring. I baked it in the oven for a couple hours and kept the temps around 125ish. My oven would only go down to 150, so it was a series of turn oven on and turn off to keep at the right temp. Once the bake-out was done, I used clear RTV to seal up the problem area.

Reinstalled the camera, worked perfect the blur is gone, Happy Wife!!
wilker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
bjlasota
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilker88 View Post
My wife's Cherokee back-up camera went very blurry, starting out with just the edges and kept getting worse. After cleaning and verifying no external problems, I was thinking I had internal moisture contamination??? I removed the camera, which was a pain in the xxx, and removed the back plate of the camera which had a good rubber O-ring seal. Upon closer inspection, I determined the source of the water contamination was where the plastic wire connector enters the back plate of the camera, which had no seal/O-ring. I baked it in the oven for a couple hours and kept the temps around 125ish. My oven would only go down to 150, so it was a series of turn oven on and turn off to keep at the right temp. Once the bake-out was done, I used clear RTV to seal up the problem area.

Reinstalled the camera, worked perfect the blur is gone, Happy Wife!!
Did you happen to take any pictures? So you're saying your problem is where the connect connects to the camera? Did you bake the camera, or just the connector? I wonder if a dehydrator would work better? I have one of those for beef jerky and has a temp range of 80F to 165F.

Any insight on how you got to the camera? Did you have to take a bunch of stuff off your back gate?
Old 03-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
wilker88
Grand Rookie

Default Blurry Backup Camera

I just watched a you-tube video on how to remove... So the large panel internal had to be removed to access some nuts to remove the back panel... not too hard but watch a video.

So I took no pics didn't think I would be posting anything on this subject... The problem is where the wire connector enters the back plate of the camera housing/case. There is not a seal in place to protect against water contamination. Remove back plate of camera housing/case to allow for moisture to escape. Set the camera it in the sun, dehydrator or something that will be hot enough to evaporate the moisture without damaging the camera.
wilker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
blurry fuzzy