NOOB Questions - Page 2 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member Introductions
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #11
kdm_3769
Grand Rookie

Default noob question

I want to do a front to rear coil swap. I have heard it can just put the rear coils on the front and put two new 3.5inch on the rear and that is all i need. So my question is... Can i put a 3.5in lift on my 95 gc with only doing that? Or would i need to get all the extras too.
kdm_3769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 09:12 PM   #12
kdm_3769
Grand Rookie

oh and if i do this lift can i also add a bb to it or is that adding a lot more part. I am trying to do it as cheap as possible without buying sh!tty part. What I do I want to last but I don't wanna buy extra if I don't absolutly need it.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
96sdgc
Grand Rookie

For one i believe you are mistaken... you put the front springs on the rear and get new front springs. Also going that high without some upgrades can really cause problems i.e. death wobble. you are really pushing your stock control arms to their limits with the 3.5 and to throw a bb on top of that would cause more troubles than you want. going that high you would want to go with a long arm kit plus steering upgrades and i hope you have different shocks and swaybar links in mind. and your stock track bar will need some attention. you can do up to 4 inches or so on a low budget but any more than that get pricey real fast.

Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #14
96sdgc
Grand Rookie

I have done it the cheap way... and i have already destroyed one zj, God rest her soul, i have a second chance in my garage right now... take your time, do it the right way. You will thank yourself.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
kdm_3769
Grand Rookie

Default thanks

Ok thanks that is what i was looking for I wasn't already in the plans of doing it I just heard it could be done that way. I was looking for the correct way of doing it. So I put the front springs on the back and buy new ones for the front, I will need a new ss and an adjustable track bar. New shocks. (which I was going to whether I needed to or not) New control arms. So with all that I can go 4 inches is that with the bb or before the bb?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
96sdgc
Grand Rookie

I am honestly not sure how high you can go with the swap, I do know it depends on how old the springs are since they sag over time. I am personally going with the rough country 4 inch lift kit for 750... i think you should do some research and see how complete of a kit you can find in the price range you can afford. but i do know that if you venture above four inches you can plan on eating ramen for a while because it get spendy to do it right. here are some threads that changed my life... learn them, use them, save up to 55%
https://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27597 and https://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21827
Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #17
DankNesS
Grand Master

Im on 5.5 lift- budget crunched.front to rear swap is what i started with. got everything from KevinsOffroad though it wasnt cheap i got quality parts most of which can be used down the line and w higher lift. I went with RE front springs added an inch spacer to rear w old front springs, track bar conversion- stock setup is junk. and with that added a JKS adj tb- adjustablitity is pretty important when you start adding lift.
That is all you really NEED. however i added JKS sway bar discos for ease of disconnecting it obviously and adding flex.- good thing is they adjust and can be used at later w more lift. I also got Rubicon Express shocks- not a must but stock will limit droop and ride quality over all. You can do the f-r swap then add them a few weeks later of course and that is no problem.
Steering damper or stabilizer isnt an issue unless its already blown imo.

Down the road i got some adjustable control arms. first JKS front lowers then RE uppers.. i got both sets used online for a decent price. these werent a dire need when i first did the lift and rolling on 31 x 10.5s but 33 12.5s on 3.5 lift needed the axle pushed forward for sure.

Im currently at 5.5 lift after adding 2 inch spacers all around. I was on 33s w this set up really well. I added an adj JKS track bar for the rear to center the axle but other then that not a whole lot as far as suspension. Im on 35s now and STOCK rear control arms. the axle cant really go back (gas tank) so there hasnt been any real need. I still get a ton of flex for short arms and wouldnt waste the money on adj rears as it would be better spent on long arms. Not everyone agrees on my set up but it works. check my build and see what you think.
Oh ya 96sdgc mentioned steering. I dont think lift height matters so much as tires size. if you have the 4.slOw then a cheap upgrade is the V8 drag link and tierod swap. cheap at a junk yard and bolt in. Steering box might get sad after time so another good upgrade is a waggy or j10/20 sterering box. bigger piston? adds a fourth mounting bold and is fairly cheap at the bone yard as well. Id also add a steering brace like the one KOR sells to relieve sress as well.
It all depends on your coin and intentions. You dont have to drop 2 gs on a LA kit right away and you can get by w bare minimum essentials. just my 2 cents good luck.

i love that last vid of the decline into the pond. youve got more balls then i do...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DankNesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #18
kdm_3769
Grand Rookie

thanks this has been a lot of help. i will have to slowly but surely buy all the parts I need and eventually put my lift on.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #19
96sdgc
Grand Rookie

need any more help feel free to ask. we are all in this together.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
GC4ME
Grand Rookie

I AM RUNNING 31x10.5x15 BFG MUD TERRAINS ON 2" BB I HAVE NO RUB IN FLEX OR TURN
GC4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement