violent vibes shutting off the jeep - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member Introductions
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
SINCITY192
Grand Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to SINCITY192
Default violent vibes shutting off the jeep

94 zj 4.0 6cyl auto trans

I was driving my wife to work, when I noticed so much white smoke behind me that i couldnt see a thing.
Pulled to the shoulder and seen that it was my trans.
A line had came off from in front of the radiator. Whoever had it before me had some weirdo fixer upper, that I guess wasnt suppose to last very long.
The hose popped clean off... I had some spare new hoses in the back and trans fluid.
I had to cut the hard lines and add rubber hoses and clamps, doubled up on each side, for security.
I then idled the jeep after adding a quart of fluid. In Neutral I added as needed until it was ok or close to it. I added in total about 3 qrts and some lucas non slip.
I kept checking for leaks and havent seen any...
So i decided to take the chance and drive to get my wife (over 30 minutes late) and then on the way home.
on the way back i stopped at a light and it vibrated violently, shaking the whole front end, steering wheel and all and then shut off.
But luckly it started right back up I figured maybe since the bottom end was covered in fluid, maybe something got wet...
when i got home I kept switching gears and everytime the jeep was in D or R it vibrated violently again without shutting off but it seems like it does, sought of like its loosing power. I was looking in the engine while the wife went through the gears again and the engine slows up a little in D and R while it vibes like that... please help.
SINCITY192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

No check engine light on? Sounds like a sensor got soaked and needs to be cleaned.

If I were that cheap I wouldn't be driving a Jeep!
Utah_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
SINCITY192
Grand Junkie

Thanks Utah ZJ i was hoping so.. Im also hoping I didnt toast the tranny with this one.. everytime i was adding fluid it had smoke coming from the dip stick. Not alot but small amounts just a little worrying that all.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
SINCITY192
Grand Junkie

And definitely no check engine light!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Crapola, smoke coming out of the dipstick means something got very hot due to friction, lack of fluid, or both. Try resetting the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so and see if there is any difference. How long after you saw smoke did you pull over?

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 AM   #6
SINCITY192
Grand Junkie

not long at all really, but the real question is how long was i driving before seeing the smoke.... smh. I caught a glance of the smoke and was coming to a light so i edge over to the nearest parking lot and started surgery on the jeep. But how long that smoke was coming out is a mistery.
This morning I clean all electrical connections i could see under the hood with some electric spray and dried them when needed. Also since the drivers side brake was covered in fluid I sprayed that with some brake cleaner, and dried everything I could see.
Started her up and let her warm up no smoke coming out until warm, so i checked the fluid and it was reading low (not sure if being on a hill effects the reading) but I checked it on straight ground to be sure and then in (N) added some more lucas and fluid.
I should mentioin that it was still vibrating violently and shut off after the cleaning.(when in gears (R) or (D)
but after adding more fluid and lucas, taking it for a drive, it stop with the violent vibes while in gear. So i chalked it up to being due to having low fluid in the trans, problem is when fluid is not going into the trans dip stick its seems to be smoking, maybe due to low fluid but if it doesnt stop smoking soon, Im taking it to get look at.
thanks utah

Last edited by SINCITY192; 02-15-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Keep us posted, I see wrecked ZJ's with good transmissions in the junkyard all the time.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
SINCITY192
Grand Junkie

ok.. utah! And after going to pick the wife up and driving back my wheel on the drivers side was smoking but a closer look its must be the trans fluid burning, its hot out now so im thinking that needs to be soaped and rinsed at a car wash.
as far the violent vibes I got 1 out of about 10 stops and it only did it im guessing because the tranny was just started up...
So i checked the fluid but again its looking low does lucas count as tranny fluid? I put damn near 2 24oz bottles and 1 qt of fluid atf+4 not to mention 3 or 4 qts yesterday
I worrierd im gonna over fill the thing but its not full or thats what im reading but i drove ruff on the way back to test the hose durability and it held up.. I dont see any fresh leaks either so maybe I lost some eternal fluid when it was smoking and thats why im having to add so much fluid. make any sense?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Holy shizz dude, the Lucas is hurting more than helping. You are only supposed to use additives IF there is already a slipping problem, too much will actually restrict fluid flow through the valve body and filter. Atf+4 already has the proper friction modifiers the transmission needs to run under normal circumstances. I hope you didn't kill your transmission! Now go buy the proper fluid(about 4-5 quarts) and a transmission filter with pan gasket, then drop the pan to change the filter, and fill it up with ONLY ATF+4.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
SINCITY192
Grand Junkie

ohhhh boy here we go again.. i betta make sure autozone gives me the right gasket the first time around.. ATF+4 is expensive but ill give it a go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement