Looking for my first ZJ, common problems???? - Page 2 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > New Member Introductions
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
rtingdds
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by super32 View Post
I'm also looking for a GC, and plan to use it as my daily commuter. The reason for not getting a toyota camry or something similar for my DD, is because I just want 1 car that will do almost everything I'm looking to do
- go to the snow during the winter
- tow some light stuff (fridge, my motorcycle, etc) with a trailer
- serve as my daily transportation

I just want something that will get me up the mountains (snow) and pull something in the back if i ever need it to.

thanks for all the input, everyone!

to be honest, ZJ is not a really good choice for a daily driver. If you are looking for something that can do those jobs, maybe you ought to look some other cars, like pathfinder, 4 runner, FJ,... ZJ is not a very reliable and does not drive as well as some other SUV pluse use more gas. Driving ZJ is more like a passion, for guys how like off road & love jeep. It's a very particular breed of car for only certain population. If I have to choose a practical SUV but not pick out of love. I would have pick a Japanese.
97 5.2;NP231,RE 6.5"LA;ACOS;Dynatrac D44/ProRock60 & ARBs;ARB front bumper/remote Warn/Viking line;KOR rear carrier bumper,rack,slidz,diff skit;RonDavis Alum radiator/E fan;Fitch Catakyst;FIPK;front SwayLoc & rear AntiRock;Kings;Hellas;Hi steer/brace/TomLee ram assist;4XD tank skid;35"KM2 beadlocked 5&5.5 lugs;Hushpower II;hood vents
rtingdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
super32
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtingdds View Post
to be honest, ZJ is not a really good choice for a daily driver. If you are looking for something that can do those jobs, maybe you ought to look some other cars, like pathfinder, 4 runner, FJ,... ZJ is not a very reliable and does not drive as well as some other SUV pluse use more gas. Driving ZJ is more like a passion, for guys how like off road & love jeep. It's a very particular breed of car for only certain population. If I have to choose a practical SUV but not pick out of love. I would have pick a Japanese.
hey there. thanks for the feedback.

Well, I had considered the 4runner and Pathfinder like you've suggested.

I guess I should provide a brief (as possible... i tend to be long-winded )...
Quote:
I have a budget of maximum $3000 +/- $200
my family used to own a 97 3.0 V6 4x4 Pathfinder and when we drove up the mountains to do some skiing/snowboarding (ie. from 3000ft elevation gradual highway ascent to 6000-7000ft elevation) it seemed to be power lacking with the 150-160-HP/180ft-lb torque on a 2ton body). They did go to a V6 3.3L engine with an extra 8HP/20ftlb.

With the ride experience of the 3.0 pathfinder in comparison with the 4Running within my price range (I4 116HP/140ftlb or V6 150/180), I wasn't sure if I'd like it either.

So, I was suggested a Jeep Cherokee XJ or ZJ
I6 190HP/225ftlb on a lighter curb weight of 3600lb

Comparing the Pathfinder, 4Runner, and XJ/ZJ in terms of power, torque, curb weight and MPG's, the Jeep seems to stand out above the 2 Japanese SUV's.

Mind you, I chose about 1992-1999 for all 3 comparisons.
Pathfinder didn't come with the 3.5L V6 (250/240ftlb) until 2001, and those trucks are running at mid-$6000
Anyway, what kind of "Love" does one need to enjoy the Jeep? I'm not asking that in sarcasm or whatnot, more like a question so that I know what to expect. From what I've read so far on the Jeeps, they don't seem so troublesome, except from occasional 44re issues or perhaps some fuel/starting issues, and various electrical problems, which I've read were said to be "easily diagnosed and fixed".

I've worked on my car for sometime. I can do some basic stuff on my own, like R&R the Alternator (which includes the belts), a timing belt with a guide in hand, valve cover gaskets, radiator drain/flush and fill, radiator R&R, various hoses (fluid and vaccuum), and some other stuff I'm not thinking of...
super32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
rtingdds
Grand Addict

The kind of love like, "always wanted a Jeep since little kids" or "always check out the jeeps on the road when they passed by". When I first got my ZJ back in 96, I thought the car handles horribly & the brakes really suck. But I still like it cause I always wanted one. Otherwise, I would've wished I had a FJ cruiser.
If you know how to fix cars then it should be OK. But beware of poor MPG.
97 5.2;NP231,RE 6.5"LA;ACOS;Dynatrac D44/ProRock60 & ARBs;ARB front bumper/remote Warn/Viking line;KOR rear carrier bumper,rack,slidz,diff skit;RonDavis Alum radiator/E fan;Fitch Catakyst;FIPK;front SwayLoc & rear AntiRock;Kings;Hellas;Hi steer/brace/TomLee ram assist;4XD tank skid;35"KM2 beadlocked 5&5.5 lugs;Hushpower II;hood vents
rtingdds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
Mazdarx
Grand Rookie

I don't think they are as bad as that, sure it may not ride quite as nice as an IFS rig, but if it had that then it wouldn't really be a Jeep. If it was that bad you wouldn't get so many soccer moms driving them who don't go offroad and have no interest in doing so. If you will towing anything as you mentioned wanting to do, you will want to get a V8. The 4.0L is fine for most driving until you start towing, then you will wish for the V8. I had a pathfinder a few years back also with the 3.0L, and while it was a nice motor, very smooth, it had nowhere near the power of the V8 in a Grand Cherokee. I will say though that if you get a Limited model, it will probably take some upkeep to make all of the power functions work all the time. Oh and its true, economy won't be as good on these as most import SUV's, thats the tradeoff for the extra power.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #15
super32
Grand Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdarx View Post
... If you will towing anything as you mentioned wanting to do, you will want to get a V8. The 4.0L is fine for most driving until you start towing, then you will wish for the V8.
Hmm... do you think that it'd still be a problem even if it's occasional? I don't plan to tow too much out of the year. The "longest" distance would be with my motorcycle, and that'd be about 400lb bike + 500lb trailer = 1000lb?

Quote:
... I had a pathfinder a few years back also with the 3.0L, and while it was a nice motor, very smooth, it had nowhere near the power of the V8 in a Grand Cherokee.
have you ever towed anything with the Pathfinder? How did it feel to you?

Quote:
... its true, economy won't be as good on these as most import SUV's, thats the tradeoff for the extra power.
what kind of MPG do you get for a I6 or V8?

Sorry all, if it seems like I'm trying to "defend" my decision or interest in the I6. It's just that I didn't want to take the MPG hit with the V8.

Thanks all!
super32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #16
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

I don't know that the I6 will get that much better gas mileage. They both weigh in about the same. If you have the v8 running right, and don't have a heavy foot, you can get decent mileage. I think 18 MPG was about the best I ever got on my ZJ, it was the v8.
I think the ZJ is a great daily driver. My wife drove ours, 5 inch lift with 32's on short arms, for 6 years before we sold it. With your budget for the purchase, you should be able to find a good ZJ. I would search for one with the lowest miles you can find for the price you are willing to spend, I would look for a Laredo (echoing the comment about electrical).
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
tcar
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtingdds View Post
to be honest, ZJ is not a really good choice for a daily driver.
Nonsense.

There are 1000's of ZJ's, including mine, that are used on a daily basis here. They are everywhere, even the early ones.

Mine is perfect, the perfect size, too IMO.

These ZJ's are nothing like the pic (avatar) in your post. They are all basically stock, with perhaps a few minor mods. Inexpensive to purchase, fairly easy to work on. Great vehicle.

Last edited by tcar; 01-08-2010 at 11:37 AM.
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
GreenGrand89
Grand Rookie

Send a message via AIM to GreenGrand89

Another problem a lot of people dont realize with the failing 5.2 trans is that when put in park the fluids dont flow in these transmissions, simple solution is when needing to park and leave running put in neutral and use your ebrake.

As for economy goes I have had mine for two years and live on a mountain. I frequent between 19 and 14 with the 249 Tcase (all wheel drive). Maintenance wise these cars v8 or i6 are like any other american car, if you take proper care and change the oil and fluids regularly then it will last forever.

I would not discourage anyone with the ability to pay for gas on a regular basis from buying a ZJ. I plan on keeping mine for a very long time.

It was this car that got me out of wranglers maybe for good.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #19
larry8946
Grand Rookie

The rear engine seal are known to go on the 4.0. I just had to change mine.
larry8946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement