Grand Willys Project - Page 134 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Grand Cherokee Lounge--WK
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #1331
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

Brace looks amazing Marcus
Briian-Emmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 02:14 AM   #1332
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Not much was picture worthy this week so will only show a little bit of what was done to save boredom.

I have always planned more bracing of the suspension tower to frame connection. I waited until I made sure I had the clearance needed first. I want to plate down to the inside of the frame. Not going to be that simple as the tower is at a different angle to the inside edge of the frame which also starts to curve at the back edge. The gap at the top front is how much the plate has to twist to fit.

I picked these cast forms up from a military collector I bought my trailer from. No idea what they were for but use them to shape steel over.

Using 4mm plate the same as the frame thickness. Being hot rolled as well makes it harder to shape

It now follows both the frame edge and the suspension tower.

I drilled three holes like the tower brace above the engine. I left the ends open so I can still run any wiring and pipe work through.

Should be all that is needed now to keep the towers from flexing.

Took the cab off to weld the body mounts in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #1333
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

looks good Marcus

Old 10-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #1334
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Thanks mate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #1335
zjrog
Grand Junkie

Even small updates have great details!
Old 10-11-2019, 12:27 AM   #1336
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Even small updates have great details!
Excellent.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:43 AM   #1337
Gojeep
Grand Addict

The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Suffering from the flow on effect of adding the spare tyre under the floor. Things I had planned to put there now have to find a new home. The charcoal canister on the donor went on the outside of the rail here. I was just going to swap it to the inside before the exhaust was run to this side to go around the spare.

I thought maybe here, but after taking out the rear springs to check clearance at full compression, it was not going to work.

Laying it on its side would work but would have to change the orientation of the vent control valve.

From the factory the vent control valve was like this. When the charcoal canister was laid over horizontally, like on a JK Jeep Wrangler, the valve was still positioned vertically.

Well, I saw that it had different clocking positions possible, so only had to refit it 90* differently to make it work.

But before I went any further, I thought where am I going to fit the battery which I had planned to be where the spare is now too? It was too close to the exhaust if I put it opposite the canister, so out came my lovely K member to make room for it!

Whipped up another less elaborate K member one bay further back

Can see where the term K member comes from. It works just as well back here as it will stop the chassis trying to turn into a parallelogram anywhere along the rails.

There was more room above the fuel tank here too as it drops down at the top. Plumbing worked out better here as was actually too close before. The small left over line connects to the fuel filler vent port and the vent control valve to a vent filter also mounted there. That won't be done until after the bed is made.

I have also run the fuel and vent lines which just clicked back into place without change. The brake lines were also run.

All lines were just clipped into the donor factory holders in the same positions along the frame too. No bending was even needed!

Old 10-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #1338
wfoguy
Grand Rookie

It's been almost 6 months since I checked in. Good progress as usual. It's amazing to me how fast the summer went by. I linked your youtube channel. I'm looking forward to watching.
wfoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #1339
Briian-Emmons
Grand Junkie

Great problem solving Marcus
I expect you will have a few more before you are finished
Old 10-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #1340
Gojeep
Grand Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfoguy View Post
It's been almost 6 months since I checked in. Good progress as usual. It's amazing to me how fast the summer went by. I linked your youtube channel. I'm looking forward to watching.
Thank for checking in again. I haven't done a video update in a while but not enough to report for one yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briian-Emmons View Post
Great problem solving Marcus
I expect you will have a few more before you are finished
I'm sure there will be.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement