Dana 44HD build up - Page 18 - North American Grand Cherokee Association
North American Grand Cherokee Association

Go Back   North American Grand Cherokee Association > Grand Cherokee Forum > Write Ups/How-To
Nagca.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #171
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

I wouldn't run a 44a on the trail without a truss under the housing, in my other Jeep I have scraped the aluminum shavings off a rock that my housing left behind and wondered why on earth Jeep ever thought it was a good idea to use this axle.

If I were that cheap I wouldn't be driving a Jeep!
Utah_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #172
GreenMachine
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_ZJ View Post
I wouldn't run a 44a on the trail without a truss under the housing, in my other Jeep I have scraped the aluminum shavings off a rock that my housing left behind and wondered why on earth Jeep ever thought it was a good idea to use this axle.
blah blah blah.... ever wonder why they decided to go with unibody construction?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #173
85IrocZ-28
YETI - The Abominable WJ
Grand Master

Quote:
Good to know, thanks.

ve2whz, how did you cut these, by hand? If you had a CAD program, are you willing to share so we can have someone local cut them for us?
My Jeep won the war, your Honda mowed my lawn.
Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #174
RedlegWJ
Premium Member
Grand Junkie

Compared the Artec waggy truss against my WJ 44a. Over all width of the top plate fits just inside the inside edges of the spring perches. It appeared it would clear the odd shape of the housing top for the ball joint. Being the Artec was designed for the offset wagy housing, either the long-side inner plate would need to be trimmed ti fit in, or maybe Artec could be convinced to supply two of the short-side iner plates? I took a couple picturesI'm gonna send to them to see if they would be interested in more of a formal fit. There is still the ball joit mounted in the way ofmy guestimate. I don' see this truss as doable on a ZJ. I didn't have one handy to check against, but I believe the spring perches would be too tight together.
99 WJ 4.0 4" Teraflex springs, Iron Rock track bar, modified end links, homemade long arms and rear a-arm with cross members. Rancho RS 9000XL with steering stabilizer. Steel bumpers almost done. '04 driveline swap. Now pending hybrid 44's and stroker build.
RedlegWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #175
cincygman
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
^if you're gonna run 32s, the 4hd will handle those just fine without a truss, unless you drive stupid. the stock upper unibody mounts become equally vulnerable to damage when you start to push the axle to its limits...
Driving stupid is much more fun and exciting than keep-n it low key

Stock upper unibody mounts, if your were referring to the upper control arm mounts, no longer being used due to installation of the long arm suspension.

The truss will be extra insurance for durability and since I can fab my own stuff, the expense is low, peace of mind much worth it. We do have plenty of rocks around here to slide a pumpkin on.........
Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #176
Utah_ZJ
Grand Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincygman View Post
Driving stupid is much more fun and exciting than keep-n it low key

Stock upper unibody mounts, if your were referring to the upper control arm mounts, no longer being used due to installation of the long arm suspension.

The truss will be extra insurance for durability and since I can fab my own stuff, the expense is low, peace of mind much worth it. We do have plenty of rocks around here to slide a pumpkin on.........
Instead of just talking about it, built it and post pictures. As for driving stupid, Darwinism will take care of that in the end.

If I were that cheap I wouldn't be driving a Jeep!
Utah_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #177
cincygman
Grand Junkie

Quote:
Instead of just talking about it, built it and post pictures. As for driving stupid, Darwinism will take care of that in the end.
Yea, if you mean build it, then your right talk is cheap isn't it and stupidity is sometimes entertaining.........
Old 07-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #178
LasVegasTex
Grand Rookie

You can get a 44hd truss from tnt customs for about 170. They have versions specific to different Jeep models, and they come with/can come with mounting brackets and/or coil buckets. Mind you, this is just info from planning/dreaming about my 44hd.
LasVegasTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #179
04DubJ
Grand Rookie

Have you had to replace the pinion seal on that Dana 44a? I picked up one from the jy to swap out on my gc. The pinion seal is leaking on it so I bought one but it looks like there may be another piece I need as well. Looks like the pinion yoke has a rubber type seal on it in addition to the outer one that goes into the pinion opening on the housing.

Can anyone confirm if the dana 44a pinion seal is a two piece deal?
04DubJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #180
Gummbo
Grand Rookie

nope only a 1 piece seal

Last edited by Gummbo; 10-17-2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: reduce picture size
Gummbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement